What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Home Office Computer

Phobia

I back his files up onto a thumb drive and dropbox when I visit. I initially thought about raid 1 for him, but figured it was overkill.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yeah raid 1 is defenite overkill, especially when youre giving him a modern ssd.

Since he wont miss the extra threads go for the _200G ryzen with onboard and a quad core and youll be set. With a decent psu, *a surge protector or small ups, decent airflow and a fair heatsink+OC, he'll be set for at least 5-6 years for sure.

*= these really arent an option anymore. Gone are the days of motherboards surviving dozens of power failures and surges, nowadays its possible that a cheap board with the dozens of features theyre crammed with, to develop a problem after just one or two. So if you really want him to be set for a long time, get a 350-500va UPS (with usb connection and the software installed to enable clean shutdowns when the batt is low) or at very least a quality surge suppressor - youll probably be thankful having it, I know I am for my important PCs.

PS: can you tell I live in QC? Power failures are so regular Im 100% certain that my UPSes and surge bars haved saved my hardware. 100% certain. Haha... but also sigh. :/

MARSTG

You are overthinking it : just get him a used corporate machine with a Haswell i5 and 8 GB RAM. Add a 250 GB SSD. He is not a gamer, these old boxes are perfect for this scenario . ebay

Twitter