What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Home Server Issue (again but new)

Arinoth

Staff member
Well it seems with the power outage from a thunderstorm a few days ago my server is having fun issues again.

This time Windows lost drivers for anything to do with networking, even after reinstalling new drivers for the NIC and networking it wouldn't connect to my router or run any programs that use ports (even as local host).

I decided to try to reformat the Hard Drive. Well, launching into Win 7 installer lead me to be unable to format/partition the hard drive I wanted to install onto. Ok, maybe the HDD is dying, trying another one with the same error saying it couldn't format/partition the hard drive. I even formatted and partitioned the hard drives in my main pc, moved them into the server and still same error.

I eventually removed the raid card I had installed, moving all my storage hard drives into my main PC (thank god I have the Shinobi XL, got 7 HDDs in there now). This allowed me to at least format/partition the hard drive and begin installing windows. It would go for a good little while before erroring saying some sort of memory issue.

I decided to run memtest86, after several hours and passes the RAM checked out.

Ultimately, I think there is probably something wrong with the motherboard's memory controller. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong so I can part out the working parts and if it's the mobo throw it's ass into the garbage (it's a Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3).

JD

Staff member
And this is why you should of bought a UPS.

It could very well be the CPU/Motherboard/PSU. I know with my home server it ended up being the PSU and before I figured that out, I killed a brand new P67 and i5 2500k.

Arinoth

Staff member
The UPS wouldn't have gotten to me in time to save it from the thunderstorm we had earlier this week.

I know my next planned sever build, which is going to be a few thousand dollars running Raid 5 will have a UPS. Until then I'll be running my HDDs in my main rig.

What others tests can I do to see if it's the cpu without going into windows or removing it from the board?

Chareon

Memory Controller on the LGA1155s is built into the CPU, so if it is just the mem controller, replacing the CPU should fix it. If the board really did get zapped with bad power, its more likely the motherboard is having issues though.

Arinoth

Staff member
Yeah, though it went through memtest86 without throwing any errors with respects to RAM (and well I believe it tests the mem controller too)

enaberif

What test can I do to check out the mem controller then

When I had 3 i7 2600k' with bad memory controllers I could do everything normal except get Windows to run properly. Given 2 or 3 minutes in the entire OS would freeze.

Arinoth

Staff member
Hmm come to think about it I was having issues trying to remote connect in on my phone. It would work for a few mins then it would seem my connection would be gone and I'd have to wait for the system to reboot.

Though when I was physically on it, it was not freezing the OS or rebooting it at all, it was working fine.

Arinoth

Staff member
Hmm looks like if I place a fan on the south bridge I can install windows onto the hard drive. Well that seals it that it was the south bridge and further more another Gigabyte board with issues.

Latest posts