What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hot deal for me..... :)

sswilson

Staff member
I was looking around for prices on a build for the 5'th computer to run in the house and kept coming up more than I really wanted to spend. (The OS & mem were killing me!!!).

I had a look at all of the bundled packages at the on-line shops and checked out prices locallly and was still coming up with at least $450 for something that would be ok, but not great. (That's including the s754 mobo & 17" crt I already have kicking around).

So off I go to the local futureshop to see what they've got in stock for e-machines or compaqs (laugh if you will, but you can't beat their bundles for low end gear with legal software)....... and what do I find......

S939 3500+ w/ 2X512 M + 200G HD + Lightscribe Burner + Card reader + Ati onboard (w/ open Pcie) + XP media center.......

All for the pricely sum of $387!!!!!!

It was a refurb, and it had a couple of scratches in it, but you can't find that kind of pricing around here for used goods let alone something with a year warranty & legal software on it.....

Won't be doing any (well not much anywise.... ;) ) overclocking on it, but it sure as hell tickled me pink to find it.......

sswilson

Staff member
That is a pretty sweet deal there! I know my uncle picked up a deal for 750 or something (close to 800) with a 20.1inch LCD monitor, and a dual core X2 3800+ 939 setup. And yes, it was at futureshop!

Yeah, I used to pull my hair out when I saw folks buying up the "insert prepackaged box name here" builds, but I've since rethought that aversion when it's for folks who really only need a general use computer for surfing/productivity/light multimedia.

If somebody doesn't know much about computers and they intend to treat it like any other home appliance (replace in 3-5 years, hoping that it doesn't break before then) there honestly isn't anything wrong with the big box offerings.

Generally you can't purchase the components for the same price and the OS / Bundled Software is gravy.

That said.... I suggest that anybody purchasing one of them get one of their geek friends to come over to get all of the crapware off of it ASAP.

sswilson

Staff member
Yep, that's where I picked up my 19" samsung for $299.

Had to almost arm wrestle the sales clerk though to convince him that I did indeed want a true 19" square monitor and not the widescreen..... :)

Babrbarossa

You got the 931c (or equivalent)? They actually had that on sale after x-mas for 269-- missed my chance though.

I don't know why anyone would pay 300 for a 19" widescreen-- it's alot less screen. You might as well just put a piece of duct tape across the top of your 931c.

sswilson

Staff member
You might as well just put a piece of duct tape across the top of your 931c.

Exactly. (Well, not quite that bad.... I'm pretty sure that the widescreens end up being a bit wider due to the corner to corner standard measurement, but IMO that still doesn't add up to the same square footage of screen.... :) ).

I was trying to explain to him that I wouldn't go widescreen unless I could afford at least a 21" and that wasn't going to happen..... :)

Patriote

Nice deal!

Anybody have a link to that 22" Samsung monitor ? Im a lazy bastid when it comes to search on that site:rofl:

Latest posts