What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hot Deals!!!!!

lowfat

Staff member
save 1 second of time
Probably not. For desktop/laptop usage you want low latency and higher small file (4k) low queue depth read performance. AFAIK the current Gen4 SSDs aren't faster here. They just have higher throughput, which makes realistically no difference in real world performance.

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
yes. that's what's cool about SSD's...in RAID, the real world performance is generally to whatever their spec is. not the 10% boost you got with HDD. ;)
The days of me short stroking 7200RPM 120GB drives @ $120 each in Raid0 is definitely long gone.

Tried it once with some 10k raptor drives and at that point I was already not worth the effort.

Edit: I did deploy ram drives to production hardware only 6 or so years ago though. Didn't want to spend the money on a pile of kiosks for SSDs but they had available ram to spare to sacrifice to a ram drive cache .

justmehereajax

Probably not. For desktop/laptop usage you want low latency and higher small file (4k) low queue-depth read performance. AFAIK the current Gen4 SSDs aren't faster here. They just have higher throughput, which makes realistically no difference in real world performance.
Ok then I think I might as well just get the CPU for my B450 board. I think its worth the wait for a AMD Ryzen 4000 series compared to the nice 3600 deal amazon is always having

sswilson

Staff member
Free Nest Mini if you're on premium!

Be sure to use the 'creation' account, or it'll give you an error.

Cool!!!!

Get a free Google Nest Mini with your Premium Individual, Family, Duo, or Student plan.
Usually these offers are only for the premium account. Not sure I've got a use for it, but hey... free is free.... :)

Now I just have to remember to go back into my Google account to remove my CC info once the "sale" has gone through... Google's one of those annoying sites that doesn't allow you to do one-time CC purchases, you have to register the CC on your account and then if you don't want it kept on file you have to go back in and remove it.

I'm also not sure I'm happy with the fact it required me to link my google account... not from any concern about them mining my data, more about it messing up my account (linking rakuten did some funky things to my account).

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
thanks for posting. One of the terms is That you are not eligible if you have done one of these before (I got one for free last time).
I cannot confirm but some on RFD were saying they got both. Might be worth a try!

sswilson

Staff member