What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Hot Deals!!!!!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Screen size is 'bigger' but not really. The 18:9 (or wider) aspect ratio makes them longer in inches but not really in surface area.

My last phone had a 6.4" 16:9 screen. Current phone has a 6.9" 18:9 screen. The current phone screen is every so slighly longer. However it replaced hardware buttons w/ the onscreen soft buttons. So it actually has less screen. :rolleyes:

IMO they really need to start stating a screens since in surface area. Not how many inches it is.
aye...I get that. long n skinny isn't as good as long and wide. :sneaky:

Cannon Fodder

Not sure how "hot" this is... but the UMIDIGI a5 Pro is currently $130 on an amazon lightning deal (little over 3 hours left). Grabbed one for myself as a spare and home wifi device.

Ok, having read the posts here since this was posted, it's made me curious about this brand..... I've never heard of them, and I'm wondering how many other folks have? It seems several folks here have grabbed one of these just because it seems like a smokin' deal, but unless I've missed it, it seems like nobody is particularly familiar with this brand. In any case, those that have bought one of this brand, please do enlighten us all...... 👍

sswilson

Staff member
They're a third tier (at best) Chinese phone brand who up until recently were only available through online Chinese marketplaces (like aliexpress), but who now sell through and are fulfilled by Amazon. Dirt cheap for the listed specs, and by all accounts passable quality, but don't expect too many updates (or any at all), or expect too much support if there's an issue. Most folks who've seen them at all have probably seen them through RFD posts, and as with all Chinese phones it's really important to pay attention to the specific model you're ordering WRT available NA bands.

Think Xiaomi Redmi line 2 or 3 years ago before anybody in NA had heard of them...

upcoast604

Ok, having read the posts here since this was posted, it's made me curious about this brand..... I've never heard of them, and I'm wondering how many other folks have? It seems several folks here have grabbed one of these just because it seems like a smokin' deal, but unless I've missed it, it seems like nobody is particularly familiar with this brand. In any case, those that have bought one of this brand, please do enlighten us all...... 👍

I own it and I can tell you it's got good things like a nice looking screen, 4GB/32GB Just look over the specs you'll see there's a lot of bling that comes with it for $120-$130 cdn but the big problem is the low incoming call reciever other than that it's a good budget phone.

I'm going to pop my sim card in it tomorrow and see if ver 1.5 has fixed incoming call volume.

Edit Nov 14 : I tried the A5 Pro again and same problem too low incoming call volume through the ear piece but as a speaker phone it's loud and clear.

Last edited:

Bond007

sswilson

Staff member
Canon EF-S 24mm F / 2.8 STM Lens @ $130

Pretty decent price for a STM pancake lens. I ran into issues this summer when I realised that the only reasonably quiet lens I had for video was my 10-18mm wide angle (had to set it up damn near on top of the action for it to work.... :) ).

No IS, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference with a lens this wide.

sswilson

Staff member

Well, it's early days (hours to be honest) but you can colour me very impressed for the price I paid. Build quality is decent (it doesn't feel like one of those $50 phones you get shrink wrapped with pre-paid packages from wallymart), it feels snappy enough swapping between active apps (as well as running in split screen), and the screen looks great considering it's a $130 phone. Both facial recognition and fingerprint access seem to be working fine (I'm not noticing any real lag).

The camera certainly won't be winning any awards, but unlike the early firmware version complaints they all seem to be working fine, and pictures taken with them don't appear to have been taken with a potato.... :)

My plan is to use this as a non-sim connected device so I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the trouble of throwing my sim into it (swapping sims around won't affect either phone or my sim will it? ) to see if I have the issue of low call volume everybody has been complaining about.

Seriously.... this brand might be a QC lottery, but the hardware I got feels and seems to work as well as the Zenfone 3 Zoom I had a while back.

Cannon Fodder

My plan is to use this as a non-sim connected device so I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the trouble of throwing my sim into it (swapping sims around won't affect either phone or my sim will it? ) to see if I have the issue of low call volume everybody has been complaining about.

No, swapping SIMs around doesn't mess up anything - I've swapped a couple of SIMs between 3 different phones, just to check on reception difference between providers, and all is fine when doing so.

And yeah, I'm sure those folks(including me) that are interested in this hardware would be interested to see what happens to the call volume on your phone, along with anybody else that may have picked up one of these......

Latest posts