What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How decent are USB Soundcards?

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
The Realtek on my Atom system is terrible and I only have one expansion port, which is PCI, and it's being used by a HD 2400Pro (The PCI version does not have HD audio as I found out after I bought it). I was thinking of grabbing a USB soundcard for it, but I'm a tad wary that it may actaully be worse than the Realtek. I'll be using Analog outputs.

Slik

The Realtek on my Atom system is terrible and I only have one expansion port, which is PCI, and it's being used by a HD 2400Pro (The PCI version does not have HD audio as I found out after I bought it). I was thinking of grabbing a USB soundcard for it, but I'm a tad wary that it may actaully be worse than the Realtek. I'll be using Analog outputs.
Auzentech. If I remember, the Prelude is PCI. Might work.

Zero82z

Banned
The only decent USB sound cards I'm aware of are the Creative ones, but I have no idea how good or bad they are. In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll sound better than crappy integrated Realtek audio, but you'd probably have to pay an arm and a leg for one. Here are two that I found on their website:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 | Creative Labs Online Store
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! | Creative Labs Online Store
Auzentech. If I remember, the Prelude is PCI. Might work.
+1 on the prelude. Only reason I ditched it was it was PCI. Other than that, it was fantastic.
He's asking about USB sound cards, but I can see how you might have missed that since he didn't mention it anywhere in the thread title or in his original post. Oh wait...

Last edited:

LarkStarr

Despite no mention of USB anywhere in that post or title, the only advice I can give is:

I can't compare to onboard realtek, but I know the Creative Go! seems to work quite well. A friend purchased it for a broken onboard laptop.

martin_metal_88

The only decent USB sound cards I'm aware of are the Creative ones, but I have no idea how good or bad they are. In any case, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll sound better than crappy integrated Realtek audio, but you'd probably have to pay an arm and a leg for one. Here are two that I found on their website:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 | Creative Labs Online Store
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! | Creative Labs Online Store

He's asking about USB sound cards, but I can see how you might have missed that since he didn't mention it anywhere in the thread title or in his original post.

Who forget to read here???
I agree with zero, have sell few of creative USB soundcard over the year and since they are not totally pair with their PCI or PCI-e card they perform pretty good. Some wierd brand have other cheap one but who know, do they ever have sound?

+1 for zero sugestion and the whole comment:)

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
Naw Zero, it was to the peeps that can't seem to read.

YukonTrooper

I've been using the Musiland Monitor 02 US external soundcard to bypass my notebook's internal card. It's a fantastic card. You can find them on eBay for about $125 shipped brand new.

Twitter