What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How do I fix Memory parity error?

mrlie3

I did not realize until reading the bios beep guide that my computer has been giving 2 beeps during post for years... The guide says it means Memory parity error, but does not indicate how to fix it.

My current system is:
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
ECS P4VXASD2+
2x512MB DDR RAM (Samsung PC3200, Infineon PC2100)
Gigabyte Radeon 9550 256MB 128bit
500w PSU
80GB HDD
40x12x40x CD RW
Windows XP pro

Do I need to change the ram? Although the computer reads it as 1024MB, so I think ram is still working fine...

Babrbarossa

It's probably caused by the fact that you have two different kinds of memory- they probably have different access rates.

here's a little explaination:
The memory meets the system specifications, but the speeds are different between individual SIMM modules. The average access rate may be 70 ns on one SIMM module while the next is running at 60 ns. We have found SIMMs stamped at the factory to be rated at a 70 ns average access rate to actually be running as fast as 50 ns. Although the SIMMs are obviously well under the system required access specification, the difference of 10 ns or more between them can often cause problems on some systems. An interesting note here is that you can move these to a different system board which is using a different BIOS and chip set, and it may not have any memory problems. This is because each BIOS and chip set regulate the "refresh wait states" used for timing, and this difference often allows for variance in speed to be acceptable. If your system's BIOS allows you to adjust the "wait states" for memory refresh, this often will allow the system to run with SIMMs or DRAM memory chips which are running at different access rates. The downside to increasing the number of wait states is a slower system."

If it's been happening for years and it hasn't chewed up your operating system, then it's probably nothing to worry about.

mrlie3

Well I do have an occasional blue screen of death while playing some graphically instensed games like half life 2...

Can you suggest any useful program to change the access rate for the ram?

Babrbarossa

I was hoping you wouldn't ask that as I've never done it (I'm a bit of a noob myself)- I'm looking into in now though...Are you able to enter your bios?

Also make sure your sytem is free from dust- also try re-seating your memory in the mean-time.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
I did not realize until reading the bios beep guide that my computer has been giving 2 beeps during post for years... The guide says it means Memory parity error, but does not indicate how to fix it.

My current system is:
Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
ECS P4VXASD2+
2x512MB DDR RAM (Samsung PC3200, Infineon PC2100)
Gigabyte Radeon 9550 256MB 128bit
500w PSU
80GB HDD
40x12x40x CD RW
Windows XP pro

Do I need to change the ram? Although the computer reads it as 1024MB, so I think ram is still working fine...

I think you are going to have to go into your BIOS and make sure the ram is running @ PC2100 speeds. 133mhz in the BIOS. When you have two different speeds of memory you have to default to the slowest. Most motherboards do that automatically but maybe yours didn't.

The ram timings could also be a problem but you would have to provide us with the codes on the chips so we can figure out what the timings are and again, you would have to default both pieces to which ever is slowest.

mrlie3

Thanks for advices people, I will check my bios about this problem.

I rather not open my 9 year old computer case because of its horrific design to open and close the case... And since my small vaccuum cleaner is broken, I cant clean the dust off anyway...

Btw I am thinking of buying a new computer next year and is this where I post my prospect system so you guys can check and see any compatibility issue?

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Ya, we can definitely help out with your new build and if your computer has been working fairly well for that long, no sense messing with it.:thumb:

Latest posts