What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How does this setup look? (First time WCer)

DocShay

Hey guys,

Just built my new system - and i'd like to try watercooling for the first time. I havnt done too much shopping around, but I made a quick-list from Dazmod on the things *I think* seem okay. Please feel free to offer other retailers, as well as products in place of what I have. I think I have everything I need in this list, but if i'm missing anything - Please do tell!
(Only CPU block for now, I may plan on putting a GPU block on my 5970 though)

CPU Block

DAZMODE Limited Edition EK Supreme (Classic) Full Nickel Block

$74.99

DAZMODE Limited Edition EK Supreme (Classic) Full Nickel Block Limited Edition EK Supreme water block [EK-Supreme-Full Nickel] - $74.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Rad

TFC Xchanger - Double High Performance Radiator 240 Gen1

$89.99

TFC Xchanger - Double High Performance Radiator 240 Gen1 TFC Xchanger - Double Radiator 240 [TFC240] - $89.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Resevoir

XSPC Dual 5.25” Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Single Loop

$58.99

XSPC Dual 5.25” Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Single Loop XSPC Dual 5.25” Reservoir for One Laing DDC's Singlel Loop [XSPC-DBSL-1DCC] - $58.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Pump

Swiftech MCP 355 Water Pump 2Gal/Min

$69.99

Swiftech MCP 355 Water Pump 2Gal/Min [MCP355] - $69.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Barb (2x res, 2x rad, 2x pump, 2x block = 8)

3/8" ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black

$3.29

3/8 ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black 3/8 ID Tubing - Barb - Matt Black [BP-MBWP-C02] - $3.29 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Tubing

Feser Tube Hose - 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - CLEAR (1') - NOT UV

$1.42 per foot (is 12 feet enough?)

Feser Tube Hose - 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD - CLEAR (1') - NOT UV Active UV Hose for Liquid Cooling Systems [Feser Tube UV Hose 3/8ID-1/2OD] - $1.42 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Liquid

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - UV ORANGE

$18.99

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - UV ORANGE Cooling Fluid, UV Orange [F1 Orange] - $18.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

Since I am going with a clear tubing, and UV active liquid I will be needing some UV lights. I think i'm fairly decided on getting 3x 5mm ones for the resevoir holes. I will also be getting 2x LED strips 4.7" from Oznium as i've got car and other 12v lighting from them. These strips are wonderful. I'm realling aimming to hide the LEDs as best as possible, so you only see the light they give off as well as the liquid that will be glowing in the res/tubes. A little 2-sided tape to hide the led strips in the case should be easy enough, then I will just splice them into the 12v on a molex.

t_mo_t

everything is goood except that i would've gone for mcp655 and NON-bay reservoir

Btw, i bought 2x 6.5ft tubing and only used 1... in a HAF932 case, from the top fill port -> EK150 (and drain port to the bottom of the case) -> MCP655 -> HWL 2x120 -> EK Supreme HF

U could buy extra if u didnt cut the tubing some extra lag

lowfat

Staff member
I wouldn't go for that block. At least go w/ an EK Supreme HF. The classic does not perform as well.

Your tubing sucks. You may need to go elsewhere besides Dazmode for that though. 3/8ID 1/2OD tubing has horrible bend radius. I would highly suggest Primoflex LRT 3/8ID 5/8OD.

Otherwise everything looks good to me eh.

DocShay

everything is goood except that i would've gone for mcp655 and NON-bay reservoir

Btw, i bought 2x 6.5ft tubing and only used 1... in a HAF932 case, from the top fill port -> EK150 (and drain port to the bottom of the case) -> MCP655 -> HWL 2x120 -> EK Supreme HF

U could buy extra if u didnt cut the tubing some extra lag

Thanks! Mind posting some pics of your setup? I also have a 932 - Figured bay res was good...so it fits in bay! I'll check out some non-bay res's. Are box res's okay and just not bay res? Or should I be looking at tube only res's? I really wanna try and jam the res where my 5.25 drives go as I have 4 slots available.

I wouldn't go for that block. At least go w/ an EK Supreme HF. The classic does not perform as well.

Your tubing sucks. You may need to go elsewhere besides Dazmode for that though. 3/8ID 1/2OD tubing has horrible bend radius. I would highly suggest Primoflex LRT 3/8ID 5/8OD.

Otherwise everything looks good to me eh.

Thanks, i'll see where I can find PrimoFlex tubing, as well as i'll get the EK Supreme block too.

Smoothie

I would stay away from Feser One Coolant with dye. Just use distilled water and a silver coil, or distilled water with PK Nuke. I seen many peoples rig with crud within the water block/rad due to the coolant dye.

DocShay

I would stay away from Feser One Coolant with dye. Just use distilled water and a silver coil, or distilled water with PK Nuke. I seen many peoples rig with crud within the water block/rad due to the coolant dye.

Thanks, yeah after doing some reading, I think i'll just get a UV colored tube instead. Glows brighter and then you can just use plain old distilled water with some sort of algae prevention agent.

Dazmode

Thanks, yeah after doing some reading, I think i'll just get a UV colored tube instead. Glows brighter and then you can just use plain old distilled water with some sort of algae prevention agent.

But keep in mind that if only tube glows then nothing glow inside reservoir and possibly blocks (if plexi top was selected).

I use both tube and UV liquid (F1) in my own systems for maximum effect. I change my liquid every 6-9 months and have never had any problems with dye separation.

Liu Kang

I'd only like to reiterate Smoothie's point: coolants sucks -- distilled water only.

Parts are decent, but don't forget to focus on the actual setup. Ease of draining and refilling your loop(s) is worth all the planning/modding that goes into it. The more frequently you can maintain your rig, the smoother it will run and the longer you can go without a complete teardown/clean up.

miggs78

+1 for Primochill tubing, very good tubing really, I think it's better than Tygon too.

+1 on Distilled Water only, especially if you get Primochill tubing, some sources say primochill tubing have pre-applied biocide inside the tube..

I have nothing against the pre-mixed Feser One UV coolants (not dyes), used it for over an year in my loop and no corrosion or anything happened, although remember with a UV tube, coolant will not really show much, I always prefer going with white tubing and a UV coolant for some really good effect, that is if you were going with coolant.

I know the bling bling factor is important, but honestly when your side panel is closed, who's gonna look inside really, and then you also need UV fans/or a uv cold cathode tube, which is extra cost to really see a UV effect, personally I much rather spend my cash on some real good radiator/case fans, then to spend on some expensive UV fans that are gonna suck on a radiator.

Latest posts