What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how long to run system ( watercooling) testing?

Shadowmeph

I finally got everything setup and dug out an old PSU and jumped it for powering up the water pump, I am not to clear on how long I should leave it running to test for leaks?

Last edited:

Dazmode

First of all, you leak test with external power supply. I usually run it overnight, after checking for obvious leaks from the start....

Shadowmeph

Thats what I thought I am glad I fixed this old laptop so I can at least still keep in touch to ask any questions.

Dazmode

Ops, missed that you used another PSU.... My bad. Tomorrow morning you are good, if no leaks observed.

sswilson

Staff member
Yup, yup.... overnight is what I've used.

Did you get some paper towel to place under the barbs and under the low points of your tubing? That's the best way I can think of to get an indication of even a small leak.

MpG

24 hours - you owe it to the rest of the computer. Although yeah, the few times I've had a leak, I knew it within about 15 minutes. Don't let the radiator fans run, you might manage to raise the fluid temps a degree or two from the pump heat dump. Never hurts, I figure.

Shadowmeph

I agree on the leak with in the first fifteen minutes, I had a leak within 5 minutes because I had modded a dual bay res and drilled in a second hole for inlet because of my stinger block had two outlets and I wanted to avoid any restriction of the flow.
after I drilled and taped the hole I had messed up the firt three threads so I filled them in with some epoxy and retaped. well during the first few minutes that is where my leak was so I went and grabbed my form a gasket put it around the screws and let it dry for a little bit, screwed it back in waited for about another 2 hrs then starting the testing. no leaks so far. , I started to get a little ansi this morning because I wanted to fire up my computer but decided that I would just recheck every thing and discovered that I mixed up the inlet and outlet off of the pump, this happened because I mounted the pump side ways . I have since been doing some wire management and its hard to do all of those with no room ( my bedroom is tiny about 25' square floor space to work on) and my back being just messed .

Liu Kang

I try to leak test when I have work to do... I can sit on my laptop while the machine runs next to me, that way I can be present and keep an eye on things. So I usually test over the course of several days, about 12 hours total.

Something about sleeping while my rig *might* be taking a swim doesn't sit well with me. :shok:

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter