What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how many G of memory can vista 64 detect?

MpG

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

In a nutshell, Vista Home Premium is good for 16GB, Vista Basic is good for 8GB, while the Enterprise, Business and Ultimate versions are good for 128GB.

The odds of seeing any benefit from 6 or 8GB of memory are pretty slim outside of A/V processing, server and rendering sort of applications. Really, there are only a couple games that need more 2GB, let alone any higher.

Chilly

Depends on the edition.

Windows Vista Ultimate - 128 GB
Windows Vista Enterprise - 128 GB
Windows Vista Business - 128 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium - 16 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic - 8 GB

JD

Staff member
4GB is the sweet spot right now IMO. 2x2GB kits are rather cheap and thus not putting much stress on the chipset.

Running 4x2GB puts more stress on the chipset and might limit your OC's or just need more voltage.

And running 6GB just seems kinda silly as it's you'd be mixing capacities.

Jmac

I upgraded from 4 to 8 and saw a decent speed increase using Vista Business.

I ordered a system w/ 16 GB of RAM (Phenom 9950 BE, 790GX, 16 GB, HD 4830, 640 GB HDD, Vista HP) for a friend, so we'll see how that goes once the parts arrived (NCIX is taking FOREVER to process the damn order). NCIX had 4 GB sticks for $49 each, so my friend said to just max it out.

8GB of RAM makes any application start so snappy...
Also helps with video/photo apps.

Latest posts