What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how many of you have udpated BIOS' on your personal PC's to fight Spectre & Meltdown?

Sagath

Staff member
Javascript proof of concepts have been released showing Spectre can be leveraged in web browsers, with mitigations since being applied by vendors.
Can you link me to this? I have not heard this and my google-fu is weak.

My understanding is that if you had the software/bios updates the javascript PoC was NOT possible;
Q: If my Operating System has been patched will this solve the issue for JavaScript too?
A: Yes, the underlying Operating System update to Windows, macOS or Linux will make the issue obsolete even if you are using a browser that has no fix.
Reference: https://react-etc.net/page/javascript-spectre-meltdown-faq

And;

Vittra

That's all correct - it's patched on bios, os, and browser levels.

I only wanted to convey to sswilson and others that unpatched machines can be vulnerable beyond physical access.

Lysrin

I've done all the OS, browser updates but haven't done anything with my BIOS in quite some time. Not really for any specific reason, just because it hasn't bubbled to the top of my to-do list; not that I was specifically trying to avoid a performance impact.

Twitter