What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how many of you use a notebook as primary computer?

Mr. Friendly

now that notebooks are quad core and hexa core, any of you find yourself transitioning to using a notebook vs a desktop?

with the Tiny form factor from Lenovo, I am still using a desktop, but have been tempted to go to a notebook simply because it would have duality in purpose. mainstream computing through a dock to my keyboard/monitors but allow for better mobile computing as well.

The X1 Carbon Elite grabs my eye, especially with the 1050 Ti, it would be a reasonable 1080p gamer too.

sswilson

Staff member
I have a main PC in my man-cave, but spend the great majority of my computer time on a laptop for convenience sake.

JD

Staff member
The X1 Carbon Elite grabs my eye, especially with the 1050 Ti, it would be a reasonable 1080p gamer too.
I don't think the thermals would be great though. Even my AW 13 R3 with a GTX1060 ramps up the fan speed pretty quickly when the GPU is being used, and it's probably about 2-3x thicker. It's too loud to replace my desktop as a gaming system IMO.

Otherwise though, it has ample power to do the day-to-day stuff and some days I don't turn on my desktop and use it instead.

Largely though, I'd say my work laptop is my primary computer as it's used the most and that's a 3rd gen X1 Yoga (i7-8650u, 16GB, 1440p display, not OLED though)

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
I think ever since we went to basically fully enabled mobile GPU's I've transitioned.

I've still got a desktop, but it's got old bones now (i7-4770K, Dontated GTX980, 8GB of RAM, 1 SSD , 2 HDD's). When I got my first AW 17, it was everything I ever needed. I can move it from room to room as desired, and over to friends and families places or Lan Nights with zero fuss. I just bag it and go.

So, I would say that I've truly transitioned from having a day to day driver desktop.

My newest laptop has all the power I need, a 1440p display, and storage for days (all the M2 slots and 2.5 are populated with SSD's). I have no need for anything else.

-ST

Bond007

Still have my desktop, and probably will for a while...not because a laptop can't do what I need, but because I like having a desktop. I enjoy part swapping, tinkering, etc. Granted, some laptops give you more flexibility than other in this respect, but temp/noise/"bulkiness" then come into play. I rather have my laptop for travel and a desktop for home.

justmehereajax

I use my notebook in my signature to do almost everything (99%). I have a desktop as a backup. I teamview into a vm ... my htpc/server

Last edited:

yamawho

Use three laptops one for work, another which I use at the same time for personal use and my Dell gaming 7567. There are a few old desktops at home but see very little use.

Prickly007

(cue Jeremy Clarkson impression)

Desktop = POWAH!

If it was not for beermoney, I would not have a single use for my POS macbook. Hell, I just finished building a second desktop for couch gaming.

Shadowmeph

I use my older laptop for web and emails which i guess is what i do most accept fr watching videos I use my main PC with Kodi

lowfat

Staff member
I just can't do it. I have a larger work laptop as well as a i5/8GB Surface 3 Pro w/ S4P keyboard. I don't use either really. I either use my desktop or my phone (6.9" screen helps). I'd rather walk to my desk in another room than use my Surface that is right next to me.

Last edited:
Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter