What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how many of you use a notebook as primary computer?

Lysrin

Desktop is still my favourite platform.

Have a nice laptop (Microsoft Surface laptop, i5, 4K touchscreen, blah blah) that my wife uses frequently for web browsing, etc. and I use it if I have to take notes in a meeting or some similar mobile activity. But if I'm at home Desktop is King. If I am watching content, YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, etc. that I will use my phone for and Chromecast to main TV.

I could buy a powerful laptop and hook it up to my main screen and peripherals but to be powerful enough it would have to be a desktop replacement scale laptop and then given the size and weight that brings, what's the point. Also I can't build or enjoy a laptop the same as I have with my desktops over the years. Aside from gaming, the building is a big part of the PC hobby enjoyment for me.

That's why not being able to justify an upgrade lately has been so painful! :bleh:

Entz

I have already decided my next primary will be a notebook, but it will still be docked when at home. I like the flexibility.

The X1 Extreme has also caught my eye as well but apparently is having a lot of build quality issues and the 1050 Ti max Q has me second guessing. My hope is a refresh at CES but we will see.

sswilson

Staff member
I suppose we need to quantify "primary" for this......

If "Primary" refers to the PC that gets the most day to day use it's my laptop, if "Primary" refers to my work or gaming PC then it's still my desktop PC.

Mr. Friendly

primary would refer to the device you use for most of your daily computation needs. as many as possible, up to and including gaming, if need be. ;)

4DoorGTZ

There's also the definition of "notebook" I've been using a desktop replacement (read heavy) laptop as my main computing machine for 3-4yrs now. Dont own a desktop at all but a couple tablets and smart phones.

Helps that the "notebook" i use is powerfull enough to play everything I play on at least med settings (7680x1600 + 1920x1080 resolutions)

Shadowmeph

for emails and web surfing. I think that if I have a newer Laptop\notebook than I probably would use it for everything lol

rjbarker

- For all business / work / word processing / internet / email etc etc ....Mac Book Pro I bought in 2012 (on the ship at work and home)
- For home gaming / hobby - My System Spec PC
- For Gaming Mobile - my Asus ROG 15" Laptop w Gsync (6700HQ / 16GB 2133 / Samsung M.2 NVMe 256G & Samsung 512G 860 Pro / GTX 770M )

fubar

Aren't laptops hard to cool? If you use them for gaming, don't they get hot or warm? I suspect the fans get loud?
I would recommend an ITX build if you want to game and have it somewhat mobile. The only negative for that is that you have to connect a display but how different is that with some notebooks that are 'hybrids' - acting as tablets with the screen detachable?
At least, with some itx builds, you can install discrete graphics cards of your choice (for the most part - within limits). Yes, those are hard to cool, too, and you might have noise but I suspect it's easier to deal with than notebooks - probably cheaper, too?

Shadowmeph

the old laptop I have the fan is off and on working I spent 20 CAD on an external can powered by usb that sits at the exhaust port that pulls the hot air out my lap to with out it can get upto 80c ( fan is failing inside ) but with the usb fan cools it down to 40c I think that if I were to buy a newer laptop i would get one that had the external fan base .

Latest posts

Twitter