What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how many of you use cloud storage?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
if you do, who do you use, what's your capacity and how much do you pay for it?

I just got an email from Apple asking me to pay $1.29/m to increase it to 50GB.

50GB isn't very much anymore with the way media files have ballooned in size.

Cptn Vortex

Sounds about right to me. I just use the 5gb free Onedrive for stuff I want to access often and easily. Otherwise I just access my NAS via it's web/mobile apps. Dropbox is nice, but $12.99/mo for 2tb.

Entz

I have a few:
Apple 50GB - $1.29 . This is really used for extended iCloud picture storage and cloud phone/tablet backups. Next tier is like 2.99 then up. I haven't used them for files.

iDrive - I use this for offsite backups and direct backups of a few critical things. I have their, I think now grandfathered, IDrive Team Yearly which is $99 USD/year for 1TB . The team version gives separate allowable sub accounts i.e. My parents system is backed up to their own "bucket" and it manages the size in the space I give it automatically. I think that plan got rolled into the Business one which is expensive now...

Drop Box & Google Drive - Whatever you get for free lol.

Entz

it would take 3 or 4 years of cloud fees to pay off a NAS that does 2TB. a proper 2 bay NAS in RAID 1. makes it hard to justify...
You need both really. Onsite backups are great, cheap and fast but are not disaster proof. House burns down, gets flooded, power surge, hardware failure, virus ... POOF

JD

Staff member
iDrive - I use this for offsite backups and direct backups of a few critical things.
I recently switched to them too since they have decent QNAP support. I went with the 2TB plan, first year was $50ish and it looks like next year is $70. Only using about 775GB currently though. If you are paying $99/yr for 1TB, you should probably switch to 2TB instead.

I was previously using CrashPlan which was like $5/month for unlimited storage, but the guy who "hacked" it to work on QNAP had moved on too, so it stopped working.

Amazon Prime Photos is an easy one, unlimited storage of all my RAWs, with membership. Likewise, Google Photos for ones taken on my Pixel.

Beyond that, I don't really use OneDrive/Google Drive/Dropbox/Box/etc anymore.

Entz

Yeah I will take a look. Last I checked the way I have it setup I would need the business plan which is like 375-500$ per year for 1.25TB and god knows how much for 2TB. I should be able to move to a single account. Worst case is re-upload.

One thing i really love is you can configure machines remotely through the console, no need to RDP in to fuss with things. That feature is usually super expensive.

sswilson

Staff member
I use the 1TB onedrive storage that comes with office365 personal. It's usually on sale sometime over the year for around $60 - $70 so it works out to less than $6 / month and comes with office on 3 (or is it 5?) machines.

My only real complaint about onedrive is that the android app doesn't save the files as readable individual files so it's not suitable for syncing up media files on android devices.

Entz

Latest posts