What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How many wifi clients in your household?

lowfat

Staff member
My Wife had been stockpiling products for a while now for whenever we 'owned a house'. Well that time came, and poor Soul was changing every outlet, lightbulb etc that mattered in the house.
Plus all of my PDU's are WIFI Smart, my garden sensors that are now hooked up to my smart valve on the Rain Catches for irrigation.
And thats just Wifi. Probably more like 98 if we include hard wired. If you look at IoT density in the house, its off the charts.

-ST
Are you using any sort of hub to centralize?

I use wired if possible for everything. My gateway shows 69 devices. Although 6-7 of them are LXD containers that all share the same ethernet adapter.

sswilson

Staff member
I did. Got him on some (2) UI APs. Set up his network on 2.4 for IOT, and 5ghz for tablets/etc.

No problems since.

Hrmmmm.... that gives me an idea.... :)

I left the two APs I set up over the last few days to use a single SSID for both 5 and 2.4Ghz on the assumption that they will adjust according to each client for best efficiency (as in drop down to 2.4Ghz if the signal drops too much in the 5Ghz band) but I left my "Smart" plugs connected to the HH3000 on a fixed 2.4Ghz SSID because I've had problems in the past getting those switches recognized when they've been connected to a dual band SSID. (I'll connect my android initialization app to the 2.4 SSID temporarily so that it can see the smart plugs/switches for pairing).

Long story short.... I suppose there's no reason why I shouldn't create a separated dedicated 2.4Ghz SSID on the UBi APs and use those for Smart/IoT. (I'd still leave the HH3000's wifi enabled as it's got the backup battery(s) on it for power outages).

JD

Staff member
I suppose there's no reason why I shouldn't create a separated dedicated 2.4Ghz SSID on the UBi APs and use those for Smart/IoT.
Depending which version of the Controller you're running on the CloudKey, there might be this option too:

1634351436494.png

Shadowmeph

all of that home automation if people keep doing this they probably will forget how to turn on a light switch manually, kind of like when I drove my gran niece in my truck I had she wanted to roll down the windows and could figure it out because it was manual hehe
then I showed her the map in my glove box because she was asking about GPS lol

Soultribunal

Staff member
Are you using any sort of hub to centralize?

I use wired if possible for everything. My gateway shows 69 devices. Although 6-7 of them are LXD containers that all share the same ethernet adapter.

I have some hubs that help sub-divide similar items. I.e. one on each floor for lighting.
I can't wire everything in this house, thats for sure. So I saturate it instead with Mesh AP's.

I gotta seriously upgrade those sometime next year.

-ST

Bapadaboopy

What light switches are you guys using to have that many devices?!
I have Lutron Caseta switches which only require a hardwired hub. I have probably 25 switches and none show up on my devices list. Same with the various sensors I have.