What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how much of an improvement going from 4690k-i7 7700k?

Shadowmeph

I am curious how much of an improvement would it be for gaming jumping from i5 4690k - i7 7700k? but still using the old amd rx480 8 gb vid card? as it is right now I am good no issues as far as I can tell. logic is telling me if I did do it I should get a new video card and with these shortages and prices it may not be a good Idea to do so.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Depends on the resolution I would think. If you go to 2k/4k with a new video card, the processor is less of a bottleneck.

At lower resolutions a CPU can be quite the bottleneck.

moocow

What's the overall cost? I mean you still have to look for a Z board and may be able to reuse the RAM from your older rig. Found an old video from GN that have some numbers but they used a 2080TI for testing so it removed all the GPU bottleneck.

draemn

I think it would be game specific. There is no universal rule as some games aren't that demanding on CPU and other are. Only real way to tell is to look for benchmarks for the games you play and find both GPU and CPU benchmarks to figure out how each one bottlenecks.

FreeKnight

Sagath's right on resolution (and refresh) being a big factor on how that's going to 'feel'. The boost in core and thread count should help, but I'd lean towards a newer processor and chipset myself if I was in your situation. I'm not sure the 7700 will feel like enough of an upgrade to justify needing a new MB and I think RAM (7700k was DDR4 for the chipset IIRC).

If you're higher than 1080p I suspect the money might be better off on a GPU though.

Shadowmeph

I would be staying 1080p. I was just checking the itch I have lol I wouldn't know of which chips to use I am more then likely going to be upgrading within a few months I dont use a monitor I use my older 55"LED tv for all my gaming . I just want to feel the difference, in 2019 I went from my old 2500K system to the 4690K system and the Radeon rx480 8gb vid card with some improvement but not as much as I would have expected

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I would be staying 1080p. I was just checking the itch I have lol I wouldn't know of which chips to use I am more then likely going to be upgrading within a few months I dont use a monitor I use my older 55"LED tv for all my gaming . I just want to feel the difference, in 2019 I went from my old 2500K system to the 4690K system and the Radeon rx480 8gb vid card with some improvement but not as much as I would have expected
Generally, it wont be as much as you expect, again. A modern day 10100 is equal to about a 7700k.

Bond007

Will it be an improvement? - absolutely, across the board. You would then likely be GPU limited in pretty much everything. Gaining 4 threads will help in anything modern. That said, it is not going to be on the same level as more modern CPUs. I wouldn’t pay the prices most people ask for older i7 though.

Is it worth it? - if you get a great deal on cpu/mob, and $ for a newer 6+core is out of the question, then probably.

Valkyrie

Decent deal on i5-10600K, MB, and RAM in the BST @Shadowmeph. Six cores, twelve threads, and your going to need RAM anyway, as i5-4690K is DDR3. That should be a decent boost at 1080p.

Edit: But to answer the question, the 7700K is faster and includes hyperthreading, so yes it will be better than 4690K. I guess it's down to all in price that you're comfortable with.

Last edited:

djbrad

As it does not support Windows 11, unless you got a killer used part deal, I would suggest as a minimum a 6 core cpu.

You still have to buy mobo / ram, so choose wisely.

You may find something in your budget with ryzen 2000+ or intel 8000/9000+ series.

EDIT : There is a good deal on a 10600k / mb / ram combo for 350 shipped in BST, as an example.

Latest posts