What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how much RAM do you have?

techhardware

Was previously using 8GB single stick then I upgraded to 16GB dual channel. Performance increase was quite noticeable.

SCANNERMAN

Dare I Answer this?

Depends what PC you're referring to. I've never done a complete RAM count on all units. One of my main boards comes equipped with 128 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. The ram serves me well, I've never had trouble with it. I even got over 70% of it working in one usage once or twice. I rarely mention this as the first response is almost always, "you don't need that much RAM". Well, baloney. There was once a time nobody "needed" a 1TB hard drive. Anyway, to each there own and there it is. :biggrin:

KaptCrunch

Depends what PC you're referring to. I've never done a complete RAM count on all units. One of my main boards comes equipped with 128 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. The ram serves me well, I've never had trouble with it. I even got over 70% of it working in one usage once or twice. I rarely mention this as the first response is almost always, "you don't need that much RAM". Well, baloney. There was once a time nobody "needed" a 1TB hard drive. Anyway, to each there own and there it is. :biggrin:

2GB: Only really found in budget tablet designs. Fine for them, but you’ll want more in a laptop or desktop.
4GB: Entry level memory that comes with even budget notebooks. Fine for basic Windows and Chrome OS usage.
8GB: Excellent for Windows and MacOS systems and most games. We recommend this for most people.
16GB: Ideal for professional work and more demanding games.
32GB and beyond: Enthusiasts and purpose-built workstations only.

back in the day remember Bill Gates saying all you need is 2megs what a joke today

sswilson

Staff member

Heh... forget TB.... I had to upgrade to a 1GB drive when the DII expansion pack came out or I wouldn't have been able to install it.... ;)

(I also remember when upgrading to 4 MB memory + a CD reader cost me north of $500.... :) )

rjbarker

ran 4*4GB 16G for years....not 2*16G 32G .......seems like the reasonable way to go with Duo Channel and 4 Slots..

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I've always wondered how memory speeds vs memory channels...single, dual and dual dual, affected onboard GPU performance.

I know Anandtech has a bit of a rundown on it, but they didn't really go far enough with the speeds, nor did they test memory channel configurations.

rjbarker

I've always wondered how memory speeds vs memory channels...single, dual and dual dual, affected onboard GPU performance.

I know Anandtech has a bit of a rundown on it, but they didn't really go far enough with the speeds, nor did they test memory channel configurations.

Yeah good question......Ive had Dual Channel...Tri Channel and Quad Channel....the HEDT are all Quad Channel,,,,,I would think the fastest Memory possible would be best,,,as in Quad Channel....high frequency and lowest possible Timings......

I now have 32G but in all honesty I really believe 16G is still plenty for day to day stuff and gaming....64G and 128G for what I do is simply a waste of money....!

BlackSpark75

Hmmm so I have 32GB each in 3 systems that run on the X99 platform. All Quad channel starting DDR4-3000 and DDR4 - 3200.

My use cases include Media server, Workstation for video editing and a high performance NAS. I have found that with the NAS if you have sufficient memory with the appropriate networking data rates the extra RAM comes into it's own when transferring (large) files between machines.

That's just my use case though...

Latest posts