What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How much will Blu-ray cost by Christmas?

TwystedMonkey

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how much blu-ray will cost by Christmas? I have seen sale's on units as low as 300 bucks. I don't know if it will be much different in a month or 2 but maybe. I am itching to use the HDMI port on my TV but I don't want to use my "upscaling" DVD player I want true HD...

DK2

I see canadacomputers has readers for 134 and writers for 243 from LG.
getting better all the time.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
They seemed to be steadily dropping in price until HD DVD called it quits, I don't think I've seen a decent one on sale since (by decent I mean not LG)

klaiboi

for boxing day I'd imagine seeing readers sub 100 and writers sub 200 but that's just a guess

lowfat

Staff member
I don't care about the player costs (anymore) I just want the movies to drop in price. $30 for a new movie is outrageous.

Iamcanadian7

I predict that we will see readers at $50 and writers at $100 by christmas.

As of now it's about 100-150 for a reader and 200-250 for a writer from what I've seen.

EDIT: It's the media itself thats the real problem. $25 for a single blank blu-ray disc is outrageous.

belgolas

I think he is talking about a stand alone blue-ray player not one you put in your computer.

Here are some
Blu-ray Players | Best Buy Canada

Although the best blue-ray player for features and picture quality is the PS3. It beats our more expensive samsung player and can play games. Plus you know it will always be supported when Sony rolls out any new features.

TwystedMonkey

Yes I meant stand alone players. And how exactly does the PS3 beat the samsung in picture quality? The features and game playing I understand but should all blu-ray player be pretty equal in quality... well until a new generation pops up with a new specific feature that improves the quality?

Latest posts