What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how often do you charge your mobile devices?

Lysrin

So, now that I have my new Pixel 6, first brand new phone I've had in a very long time, I'm wondering did we actually come to any consensus in this thread as to what the "right" way to charge is?

I had to plug it in when I first got it, but since then I've done two complete battery drains, or very nearly, and then charged it overnight.

I like sitting my phone on the wireless charging stand on my desk so it is a clock. Haven't been doing that with the 6 because I'm not sure that is a good idea for battery life. Keeping it topped up like that could cause issues?

Last edited:

Valkyrie

It depends on how "smart" the charge controller is. In general, Lithium batteries like to run in the middle of the charge range. If the charge controller is telling you it's at 100%, when it's really at ~80%, and at 0% when it's really at ~20%, then it is looking after the battery for you. If this is not the case, then you have to make some attempt to mostly not fully charge, or fully discharge the battery to maximize it's life.

Sometimes the only way to know is to measure volts and this is not practical for most, so the safe thing to do is run it in the middle range.

Last edited:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I'm not sure if I need to reset my Velvet 5G as it seems to be sucking an inordinate amount of power while it's idle. I've disabled a lot of background apps, made the Battery Saver app very aggressive in it's policing of my system and I still find yself having to charge my phone 2x a day. I charge it to 80% in the morning and then by dinner time it's at 50 - 60% and if I leave it there, the couple of hours of surfing / reddit / YouTube I do at bedtime will drop it to 20 or 30% and then it will be dead and shutdown by the time I wake up.

it's rather aggravating! my old Galaxy A6 with a battery 3/5th the size only needs to be charged once a day with the same usage!

Izerous

Folding Team
Your battery might also just be getting worn out. i have had a couple wear out faster than they should but most of those instances were iPhones before I switched to android.

On2wheels

Call me paranoid but I absolutely do not trust any brand's recommended or suggested charge cycles. If google says it's ok I don't believe it. My pixel 4a battery has been unpredictable since they day I bought it. I even hesitate to say it's better now that android 12 has had some time under it's belt, so I won't. But the 4a seems to be an odd device: mid range chip (at release) with a minimal battery, so there's few apples to apples comparisons (to me). fwiw I rarely go past 85% when charging to try to save what life it has.

I know one other person with a Pixel 5 who does not leave it on the wireless stand overnight and his battery life has always been exceptional.

Lysrin

Call me paranoid but I absolutely do not trust any brand's recommended or suggested charge cycles. If google says it's ok I don't believe it. My pixel 4a battery has been unpredictable since they day I bought it. I even hesitate to say it's better now that android 12 has had some time under it's belt, so I won't. But the 4a seems to be an odd device: mid range chip (at release) with a minimal battery, so there's few apples to apples comparisons (to me). fwiw I rarely go past 85% when charging to try to save what life it has.

I know one other person with a Pixel 5 who does not leave it on the wireless stand overnight and his battery life has always been exceptional.
Interesting. This may have been covered in the thread already, but how are you preventing charging over 85%?

If you plug in or use a wireless charger are you waking up to stop the charging at the right time? Maybe one of the apps mentioned in this thread does that for you. I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing again.

On2wheels

Interesting. This may have been covered in the thread already, but how are you preventing charging over 85%?

If you plug in or use a wireless charger are you waking up to stop the charging at the right time? Maybe one of the apps mentioned in this thread does that for you. I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing again.
The supplied google charger is fast enough to get to 80%+ that I can plug it in while I eat dinner and it's done. That's about the only upside to a 3000Mah battery I guess.

Latest posts