What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how spicy do you like your food?

Mr. Friendly

by spicy, I mean HOT!

I used to enjoy hot foods, but my stomach was ruined by some medications I took in the past and now I can't take the 'heat' anymore :(

I do still like some heat though, but rarely go over anything like ancho chipotle n such.

am looking into growing some bonchi again and looking through the different peppers available. the filicus blue that's looks wonderfully ornamental is edible, but they can be as much as 100x hotter than a jalapeno.

Lysrin

Not sure how to quantify exactly how hot, but I usually describe it this way: I like to have a bit of spicy and heat, but not to the point that it is the only flavour from the food. I want to taste the other flavours with the spice layered over them if that makes any sense.

Skippman

If I didn't like spicy food I couldn't be married to my wife, lol. Thai, Indian, Korean, and jambalaya are staples of our diet.

Check out something called Alkalime. It's by a company called Young Living. I'm no essential oils fan, but this stuff just works. You mix a tea spoon with 4 oz of water and it gets all fizzy then you drink it down. I've never had anything work as instantly as this stuff, and it actually tastes good. Acid reflux, acidic stomach, etc all gone with this stuff.

Shadowmeph

I think this is a perspective thing I work as security and allot of the people I used to work with are East Indian or Indo canadian or what ever you want to call the culture the people I worked with always told me just call us Indian or by our name the only reason I asked is because my job I have to describe a person usually a criminal or witness and with it constantly changing all of the time makes it hard to know the proper way . Anyway one woman used to bring me in food and asked if I like spicy food which I do but her average not really spicy food for me is perfect spicy which I call medium hot but again to her it is normal spicy . I like a slightly sweet spicy which is the only way I can describe it . and I usually have hot spicy food when I have a cold or flu it seems to help getting rid of it allot quicker or at the very least clears my sinuses . in the old days I would just slightly over dose on Niacin where it makes your skin burn but also totally clears you s Sinuses great for working out so you can breath but I have had food that did the same thing and of course I dont remember which food it was

Shadowmeph

If I didn't like spicy food I couldn't be married to my wife, lol. Thai, Indian, Korean, and jambalaya are staples of our diet.

Check out something called Alkalime. It's by a company called Young Living. I'm no essential oils fan, but this stuff just works. You mix a tea spoon with 4 oz of water and it gets all fizzy then you drink it down. I've never had anything work as instantly as this stuff, and it actually tastes good. Acid reflux, acidic stomach, etc all gone with this stuff.
basically backing soda and lime for taste the acid in the lime ( probably could use anything) would react make the baking soda kind of like the acid in vinegar reacts to baking soda but its in powder form so it would react until water its added. I use baking soda and water if my stomach gets bad tastes like crap but it words good

Entz

Not sure how to quantify exactly how hot, but I usually describe it this way: I like to have a bit of spicy and heat, but not to the point that it is the only flavour from the food. I want to taste the other flavours with the spice layered over them if that makes any sense.
This. If the spice is overwhelming I dont enjoy the food which is the whole point.

I wont order medium in a Thai restaurant anymore lol But my favorite Indian place the medium curry are great!

Bond007

I like up to what I would call medium spice. Something like a properly done green curry (not what some places sell as green curry). More than that and I can eat it, but find it takes away from the taste.

that being said, spice is definitely subjective. What I call a nice medium heat, some say is fine and others can’t handle.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I like up to what I would call medium spice. Something like a properly done green curry (not what some places sell as green curry). More than that and I can eat it, but find it takes away from the taste.

that being said, spice is definitely subjective. What I call a nice medium heat, some say is fine and others can’t handle.

My SIL thinks pepper, like black pepercorns, are spicy. I would agree, it is VERY subjective.

Mr. Friendly

how 'hot' something can be is well defined, but I agree, what someone enjoys for spice heat is quite subjective.

on a scale of 1 to 10, which is almost logarithmic for skoville, the ancho is about a 2 while a jalapeno is a 3. a habanero is 10 - 30x as hot as a jalapeno, and that's too much for me now. at upwards of 350K skoville...I cannot fathom eating something in the millions. :eek:

Prickly007

a jalapeno is a 3

Jalapenos are highly variable, the ones I grew this summer would be a zero (due to over-watering, I think).

I have always liked spicy food (even as a kid). Living in hot climates is known to increase one's heat tolerance.... When I was in Texas I used to toss a handful of unseeded habaneros into the blender when I made my shrimp creole sauce.

I made the same recipe after being back in Vancouver for less than a year and it was literally firewater, I could only eat a tablespoon or two with a whole plate of rice. Now I make it with Jalapenos/Serranos and adjust the heat level with cayenne and/or chile de arbol.