What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How stupid is my idea? From 0 to printing my own Case?

sswilson

Staff member
A usable "wall" is going to be thicker in plastic than it would be in metal. You're not going to get a 200X200mm 1/16" thick piece of plastic that's got the same structural integrity as a similarly sourced piece of aluminum.

Izerous

Folding Team
A usable "wall" is going to be thicker in plastic than it would be in metal. You're not going to get a 200X200mm 1/16" thick piece of plastic that's got the same structural integrity as a similarly sourced piece of aluminum.
sswilson pretty much got what i meant right on the nose.

I go to the NAIT capstones when I can and evaluate the work done. Because of the students using an in school printer I have seen some prototypes fail due to being too thin and too weak. The ones that don't fail are think and oversized. I always end up with the conclusion that I could have made the same, lighter and smaller/thinner with basic sheetmetal work.

One of the projects was a robotic arm and the motors did't even have the strength to move theheavy plastic in the end so it was less than half its original size so the motors they sourced coudl even move the arm around. Some bent aluminimum sheeting and it could have been made the original size even with the weak motors.

lowfat

Staff member
@Izerous not sure what you mean... The printed piece bigger? Do you mean heavier for strength?
You can't have your walls like 1mm - 1.5mm thick like you can aluminum/steel. They need to be like 3mm at the minimum, 5 mm preferred, or up to 12mm if you need to have a fastener installed.

EDIT: Totally didn't see there was a page 2 w/ other replies.

sswilson

Staff member
OTOH, it's also relatively easy to incorporate seamless joining/structural elements into your design..

sswilson

Staff member

I know you want to design your own, but here's a link to a few of the designs that are already out there to give you some inspiration. In the spirit of designs on thingiverse folks are encouraged to "remix" existing designs if they can come up with improvements, or modifications for different use scenarios.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
That's something I'll have to experiment with, but I was somewhat aware of (that the walls needed to be thick).

So... this idea isn't a completely stupid one? I'm actually getting excited about the potential here! Maybe this will be the project that helps me "save" myself, at least for now. Print parts, mods and eventually a case. But I've also got ideas for Hotas mounting, and a few other things as well.

I think I'm going to go for it !
I think...
Maybe...

Dwayne

That's something I'll have to experiment with, but I was somewhat aware of (that the walls needed to be thick).

So... this idea isn't a completely stupid one? I'm actually getting excited about the potential here! Maybe this will be the project that helps me "save" myself, at least for now. Print parts, mods and eventually a case. But I've also got ideas for Hotas mounting, and a few other things as well.

I think I'm going to go for it !
I think...
Maybe...

If you think you need a reason to get out of bed, and this is the reason, then go for it.

lcdguy

Folding Team
if you can handle the lead time (currently around 7 weeks) you might want to also consider the prusa mini as well. Having said that i have the bigger version of the ender 5 (Ender 5+) as well and after making some up grades it's printing great as well.

These are the upgrades I added to my ender for those playing the home game.

Also if your using fusion 360 as your design software they recently announced changes to the free tier which are annoying. (ie: limited number of active documents, no export as .stp, .step or .iges formats after october 1.)

As a result i am moving to another piece of software that has none of this cloud malarky.

1. Upgraded hotend to microswiss hotend (the ender 5+ doesn't come with an all metal hot end, so i upgraded it to prevent degradation of the PTFE tube at higher temps than pla)
2. Printed cable strain relief for the hotend/heated bed
3. BMG Extruder
4. Capricorn PTFE Bowden Tube

sswilson

Staff member
Didn't creality just announce a new ender model with a large print bed? I'm thinking it was 350X350 and the press release suggested they were already sitting in warehouses waiting to be officially announced and released.

Pretty sure I saw it through a google news link, but of course now I can't find it.... maybe it was the CR-6 SE?

lcdguy

Folding Team
it's possibly, the ender 5+ i have has a print volume of 350x350x400. though i believe they are also coming out with a infinite-z belt printing, CR30 i believe.

Just looked up the cr-6 se, print volume is 235x235x250, for around 400 usd, for that i would lean more towards a fully tricked out prusa mini.