What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How stupid is my idea? From 0 to printing my own Case?

sswilson

Staff member
Didn't creality just announce a new ender model with a large print bed? I'm thinking it was 350X350 and the press release suggested they were already sitting in warehouses waiting to be officially announced and released.

Pretty sure I saw it through a google news link, but of course now I can't find it.... maybe it was the CR-6 SE?

it's possibly, the ender 5+ i have has a print volume of 350x350x400. though i believe they are also coming out with a infinite-z belt printing, CR30 i believe.

Just looked up the cr-6 se, print volume is 235x235x250, for around 400 usd, for that i would lean more towards a fully tricked out prusa mini.

I suspect that might have been what I'd seen a press release on.

Double the price of an ender3 pro, but it looks like it ticks off the majority of the boxes for a sub-$1K feature upgrade to the ender 3 line.

- Larger bed (300X300X400)
- Integrated ABL (It's built right into the hot end chassis)
- Decent Name Brand PSU
- Dual Gear extruder (it's not direct drive, but one of the mods most folks should be considering to the ender 3 line)
- Filament run-out switch
- Upgraded MB with silent stepper (Not completely sure, but strongly suspect it's the most recent 32bit creality board)
- Double screw rod Z-Axis (not sure how this is accomplished whether it's two synced motors, or if there's a belt, chain connecting the two)
- Digital touch screen

3D Printing Canada is offering it @ $750 so it's not cheap, but on paper it looks like a decent enough out-of-the-box printer.

I've never really looked too deeply into prusa models (too expensive for my blood) but for those who have, how does this feature set line up with what they offer on their lower end models?

Last edited:

danmitch1

They should make an upgraded version of one of these with larger x y volume rather than more z volume.
When is the last time you maxed out z volume? (If ever)

lowfat

Staff member
They should make an upgraded version of one of these with larger x y volume rather than more z volume.
When is the last time you maxed out z volume? (If ever)

Increasing Z costs almost nothing and has little downsides. Increasing X and Y require a larger bed. Large, cheap beds are going to be prone to warping. The larger they are the more susceptible they are. Plus the fact that you are increasing moving mass substantially on most machines. Also increasing bed size increases the current required to heat it up. Most of these larger printers can only print PLA and PETG.

danmitch1

Increasing Z costs almost nothing and has little downsides. Increasing X and Y require a larger bed. Large, cheap beds are going to be prone to warping. The larger they are the more susceptible they are. Plus the fact that you are increasing moving mass substantially on most machines. Also increasing bed size increases the current required to heat it up. Most of these larger printers can only print PLA and PETG.
I hear ya but im sure adding 10mm 15mm to x y wouldn't be too much more expensive and or problematic. I personally would benefit more from it.
Im looking into building a large mofo printer one of these days and it seems that the most difficult part to source is the bed. I was just fking around the other night and found you can buy 40mmx40mm x 1m x aluminium extrusions 12x for under 600$ (expensive?) to build a 1m square frame.. then i tried to find beds and gave up.
Im wondering if it would be possible to mesh several 300x300 beds together.. slap a large sheet of glass over top. Im guessing you would have to have a dedicated controller for just the bed mesh though eh.. hmm

lowfat

Staff member
I hear ya but im sure adding 10mm 15mm to x y wouldn't be too much more expensive and or problematic. I personally would benefit more from it.
Im looking into building a large mofo printer one of these days and it seems that the most difficult part to source is the bed. I was just fking around the other night and found you can buy 40mmx40mm x 1m x aluminium extrusions 12x for under 600$ (expensive?) to build a 1m square frame.. then i tried to find beds and gave up.
Im wondering if it would be possible to mesh several 300x300 beds together.. slap a large sheet of glass over top. Im guessing you would have to have a dedicated controller for just the bed mesh though eh.. hmm

I think most people who look in to building a real big printer don't go through it or they do an unheated bed and only print PLA. Doing multiple beds like that isn't possible and with PCB heaters the edges are always consistenly lower. So by using 4 together you'd have a massive cold spot right in the middle of the bed. To do the bed properly you need $$$. You buy a slab of cast aluminum, a 120VAC silicon heater and a good quality solid state relay. For large beds you really need AC as current becomes an issue. For a 300x300mm it cost me about $200. Realistically you are going to be limited to 450x450mm or so unless you are also going to install a 30A breaker for your 3d printer.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... just today I was looking at a press release style "article" talking about an "infinite Z" printer creality is working on. Basically a print bed on a conveyor belt.

(Not the article I saw today, but it's talking about the same thing)

danmitch1

Damn, I thought I was onto something there... back to the drawing board!

I saw that conveyor printer too while reading a reddit post. I thought it was a joke..