What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How stupid is my idea? From 0 to printing my own Case?

Izerous

Folding Team
In thoery a heated bed only needs heat right in the beginning doesn't it? A large bed would just need to be smart enough to do targeted heating instead of heating the whole slab. Would reduce current needs but would make the base plate even more expensive.

danmitch1

In thoery a heated bed only needs heat right in the beginning doesn't it? A large bed would just need to be smart enough to do targeted heating instead of heating the whole slab. Would reduce current needs but would make the base plate even more expensive.
I dont know, but it sounds like your on to something!

lowfat

Staff member
If you are heating the bed, it needs to for the entire print. Otherwise you risk warping or the print detaching. Pla can be printed without a heated bed, just need to use glue stick and brims / rafts.

lcdguy

Folding Team
creality tried this on the ender 5 plus called it eco mode, it doesn't work as the heated bed temp needs to remain constant for the duration of the print otherwise you risk at best warping or worst the print detaching from the print bed mid print. The exception to this would be pla, but i am not sure if heating then cooling a heated bed for pla would work or not. But if printing PLA and wanted this i would more likely just print with the heater off from the start.