What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to build an APC U.P.S. data cable.

BrainEater

Ok.

Let me start this out with a comment about this cable.

[rant]
For shame APC !

Doing the apple thing.....Proprietary cables to cash in....sheeesh.

35$ for this cable is theft.

[/rant]

Nice try tho..........I defy you !!!

The cable in question is the rj50 to USB data cable to connect an APC Uninteruptable Power Supply to the host computer.

This is a 10p10c modular phone connector.....looks like an ethernet plug but it's 10 pins.......that connects to a USB jack.

-------

Donor USB cable + connectors ;

upsd1.jpg

--------

The pinouts can be found here : APC USB cable schematic pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

---------

Finished cable ;

upsd2.jpg

-----

That cost me 2$.

Srry APC.

:thumb:

MpG

So this is just a general data cable that they decided to use a RJ50 head for? This really is turning into the new profit-booster for the technology sector. :blarg:

BrainEater

yep.

They usta do db-9 (serial) type jacks.......then they went to rj-45's for a few.......it was then they realized the mistake of using a std ethernet connector , and switched to the rj50's.....to cash in... :sad:

Rj50's are actually becoming hard to find too....I had to phone 3 places before I found em at Active electronics.

------

The cable totally works !

It found new hardware etc....

I'm just gonna check out some software now....

:thumb:

lemonlime

Awesome!

I thought about doing this as well when I lost mine, but wound up finding it in the end. Wish they stuck with standard USB cables, but as mentioned, its pretty obvious that they are trying to cash-in on these at $35 a pop.

Eagle Eye

Still cost them even less based on the volume they produce them at, they're profit margins on those cables have to be in the 90-95 percentile.

SkyChief

My APC connection is a DB-9 and I have the APC 'signal' cable. This used to connect to my old PC. Now that I have a ASUS P6T Dlx and just realize there is no more serial connection jack anymore!

Do you think any of those USB to serial cable/adapter with the APC signal cable will work?

Obaid

Obaid King

Friends i have a BACK UP CS 500...... and i haven't its USB port so i am trying to make it myself,,,,i bring connector and a USB wire now can someone tell me that there in USB just 4 wires and the connector have 10 pins so in which pin,,which wire should be inserted....plz plz plz help dearzzzzz

Latest posts