What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how to connectusing ipv6?

Shadowmeph

I have been reading around the net about ipv6 and I will admit right now that I have pretty much 0-3% knowledge about anything related to network things . I read that ipv6 is supposedly allot better then ipv4 hjow do I use ipv6 instead of ipv4 is it even possible with shaw?

NyteOwl

IPv6 works pretty much the same way IPv4 does except that the address pool is considerably larger. From an end suer standpoint, it is transparent to usage like IPv4 is. It has the advantage that there are enough addresses you can assign every network connected device it's own address. This eliminates the necessity and some limitations of using NAT (networks address translation) used to extend the available address space. From a security and privacy standpoint it is a double edged sword. It allows the easier identification and remediation of a misbehaving, compromised or malicious device (as everything has its own address) but at the same time it uniquely identifies each device removing anonymity from the network, again since every device has its own unique IP.

To use IPv6, your ISP or connection provider has to be IPv6 capable and be distributing addresses. If they don't you can still get into the IPv6 game by using a tunnel provider like HE.com who lets you connect using an IPv4 address and relink out using IPv6. In simplistic terms it is an IPv4 to IPv6 NAT.

grinder

no N.A. ISP's are using IP6 residentially

192.168.0.1 <-- IP 4 ip address

fe80::c9dd:d0dd:c954:8e56%39 <--- IP 6 ip address

the two examples above are visually distinct enough that you can probably figure out if you are connecting to the internet via IP4 or IP6

frontier204

If you can use the stuff on this page you have IPv6 available:
IPv6

I think Rogers in my area is using a 6to4 or similar because I can connect to ipv6.google.com, and I see Toredo-related stuff on my ipconfig. It's a no-go if I use my DD-WRT router that has no IPv6 support. It's getting better, but connecting to IPv6 stuff for me is still notably slower (latency) than IPv4. For now I have the IPv6 opendns servers added just for fun.

Latest posts