What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to fold with a quad?

pscout

Fallen Folder
Pscout could you link me to the exact standard clients (text only) you are talking about.
How do i know im running big packets?

It is the second one showing on the top of the download page

"Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option)"

link: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH504-Console.exe

The first time you run the client you will configure it and when it asks for "accept receipt of work assisnments and return results > 5 MB " answer 'yes'.

You can also look at the client.cfg you have with notepad (free notetab is better since it handles unix formatted files properly) and it should have a line "bigpackets=yes". DO NOT Open/save with Wordpad ... it WILL CORRUPT THE FILE and the client will run with all defaiult values including username and team #.

The supported way to look at your client.cfg settings is to run the clinet with the '-configonly' flag. It will display current or default settings, whatever is currently set and you can change them if you need to ... with -configonly the client ends after the config prompts without downloading a new wu or starting an existing one so you can run it as often as you need to but you can only have 1 client running at a time in a directory and with its own machine id (which is the last prompt under advanced setting prompt).

Apollo4g

Alright well set up a password and im using the SMP client now, its stressing my quad at 100%!! :thumb:
HardwareCanucks F@H Team just got a little more kick :biggrin:

LoL thats stuff is too complicated for me pscout!
However i did say "yes" to the 5 MB assignments :)

Just didnt do any of those things with the config file, im scared ill mess it up.

Last edited:

pscout

Fallen Folder
Alright well set up a password and im using the SMP client now, its stressing my quad at 100%!! :thumb:
HardwareCanucks F@H Team just got a little more kick :biggrin:

LoL thats stuff is too complicated for me pscout!
However i did say "yes" to the 5 MB assignments :)

Just didnt do any of those things with the config file, im scared ill mess it up.

:thumb: You should start to see some very nice points production now :biggrin:

Apollo4g

Hey guys i did a 500,000 fle in about 12 hours. Its now working on a 1,000,000 size file.
My quad at full 100% load overvlocked at 3.6 gives me load a temperature of about 50C .:thumb:
Got to love watercooling :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Yup, the Q6600 oc'ed is a monster in folding. I have mine running 2 Linux distros with each their own F@H console... about 4400ppd. On a single CPU! But as you stated, water is a must.

John

Apollo4g

Yup :)
Are my rates good?

I'd like to thank you Charlie for the help you have given me in setting up my F@H :)
Hopefully ill get my E6600 rinning at 3.6 to help out :thumb:
Its in my laptop so heat is a real issue :sad:

3.0charlie

My pleasure, but I didn't do too much...

To benchmark your folding, d/l Fahmon (Home | FahMon). It will give you the folding ppd (points-per-day) average. I'll know then if your crunching #s are good, compared to my Q6600. You can also add your lappy's E6600 to Fahmon if you have a network. Then we could do the same comparison with my E6400 which is folding @ 3.43GHz.

Your E6600 will be running @ 3.6 in your lappy?

pscout

Fallen Folder
Hey guys i did a 500,000 fle in about 12 hours. Its now working on a 1,000,000 size file.
My quad at full 100% load overvlocked at 3.6 gives me load a temperature of about 50C .:thumb:
Got to love watercooling :)

The key number to look at when assessing folding performance is the project number ie. 2651/52/63, 2605, 304x/305x are most, if not all the smp project #'s atm. Each project # has its own points level.

The number of steps per wu will not usually uniquely identify the project # that the wu is part of.

Here is a link to the current project summary page at stanford which list all current public projects being assigned to all current client types:

Folding@Home

Last edited:

stoanee

Folding Team
So far I am getting about 1300 ppd with my stock Q6600 (B3) using the SMP client.. I would love to get 4000 ppd but my kids use the computer too so I have to keep it turned down. When I get another video card I will ditch the ASRock mobo and get something I can OC with. Hopefully my production will increase also.:biggrin:

3.0charlie

So far I am getting about 1300 ppd with my stock Q6600 (B3) using the SMP client.. I would love to get 4000 ppd but my kids use the computer too so I have to keep it turned down. When I get another video card I will ditch the ASRock mobo and get something I can OC with. Hopefully my production will increase also.:biggrin:
What's your F@H id? Because you can have your F@H tag (just like mine under my forum name) if you have submitted you first WU for the team :thumb: . As for 4000ppd using a Q6600, you need to OC that Quad to reach that...

John

Latest posts

Twitter