What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to Install Windows 7 on USB 3.0 Computer?

geokilla

I am using generic drivers straight from the manufacturer like I always do, not the Acer drivers. Always works as long as I can actually get Windows 7 installed.

That error is coming up not because of USB drivers but storage drivers. That is why you can get that far, but just can't find a drive to install on.
It can read the SSD fine, no problems when I install via Windows 7 via the DVD drive. However Windows cannot detect any USBs, regardless of whether I plug it into the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port. It is most definitely a USB driver issue.

It can also read the C:\ and D:\ when I browse to search for a driver, further indicating it's not a storage driver issue.

You can't install Windows on usb 3. Only usb 2 works. Windows is seeing usb3 like a raid card but even though you have the drivers it wont ever work. Usb 2 should work though.
I have tried installing windows on several pcs via usb3 and I always get the same problem you described at the beginning of your post.

I also only use usb2 thumb drives too.
I am using USB 2.0 ports with a USB 2.0 flash drive. No dice.

enaberif

This is what I was getting at. You may or may not get it to work period. There is very limited support for XHCI in Windows 7 whixh is why if you run a skylake platform just easier to run 10.

I deal with this all day at my work.

JD

Staff member
If you grab: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility, it gives you the driver files as well. I think it should work with the majority of Intel USB3.0 controllers out there.

I'd suggest grabbing these 4 updates as well:
Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog
Microsoft Update Catalog
It will drastically cut down on the number of updates needed and it will vastly improve the Windows Update scan time.

Then it's just a matter of a couple DISM commands, changing the paths to suit your needs:
Code:
DISM /Mount-WIM /WimFile:"C:\TEMP\DVD\sources\install.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"C:\TEMP\Mount"
Change the "Index" value as required. On a typical Windows 7 DVD/ISO the values should be:
1 = Home Basic
2 = Home Premium
3 = Professional
4 = Ultimate
If you want to confirm, you can run: DISM /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:"C:\TEMP\DVD\sources\install.wim"

Add the drivers and updates:
Code:
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\TEMP\USB3\x64" /ForceUnsigned /Recurse
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\TEMP\Updates\KB3020369.msu"
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\TEMP\Updates\KB3125574.msu"
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\TEMP\Updates\KB3207752.msu"
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\TEMP\Updates\KB3210131.msu"
DISM /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Commit
You'll also need to add the USB3 drivers to both boot image indexes:
Code:
DISM /Mount-WIM /WimFile:"C:\TEMP\DVD\sources\boot.wim" /Index:1 /MountDir:"C:\TEMP\Mount"
DISM /Image:"C:\TEMP\Mount" /Add-Driver /Driver:"C:\TEMP\USB3\x64" /ForceUnsigned /Recurse
DISM /Mount-WIM /WimFile:"C:\TEMP\DVD\sources\boot.wim" /Index:2 /MountDir:"C:\TEMP\Mount"
But Skylake is the last one to have any hopes of Windows 7 support. The upcoming Kaby Lake is not being supported at all.

ipaine

But Skylake is the last one to have any hopes of Windows 7 support. The upcoming Kaby Lake is not being supported at all.
That again is Microsoft saying it. Will it be even harder to get proper driver support yes, but it will really come down to the individual motherboard manufacturers. Just like Skylake. Will there be full support of certain things like the advanced sleep states?, no but being able to install onto the platform will still work. Just like you will be able to install any number of linux flavors.

All that said it really will come down to the motherboard makers and if they are willing to put out windows 7 drivers. And if they put in proper legacy options in the bios for booting from usb.

geokilla

This is what I was getting at. You may or may not get it to work period. There is very limited support for XHCI in Windows 7 whixh is why if you run a skylake platform just easier to run 10.

I deal with this all day at my work.
I got it to work! Finally! Used the AsRock program to patch the Windows 7 ISO. Then I had to continue using PS/2 mouse and keyboard emulator until I installed the USB 3.0 drivers and Intel Chipset drivers. The tricky part is that since the USB ports don't work until one of those two drivers are installed, you have to get the drivers saved onto another HDD first. I rebooted a couple times afterwards and there was no problems, everything working as intended. Time to update Windows and install everything I need!

Latest posts

Twitter