What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to Share the Root of a Drive Under Vista

Dan Daily

I tried that:

I tried that and it didn't work for sharing the root of the drive. It says it's shared, but you can't get into the folder from the XP machine. The fix on this page is the only thing that remotely worked. It still takes the same procedure to share the users account and the programs folders. But it does work.

Mr Steve 2007

Thanks You so much! I have only been struggling with this for 1 WEEK. Do you hear that Microsoft?
If I were you I would call your book "What our educated dummies forgot to tell the rest of us about Windows Vista"

This also worked for my Windows 7 machine as well.
Thank you again. I joined this forum because of this post. I am assuming much of the forum members are just as helpful. I am not very knowledgeable but will also try to give back as I can.

By the way where is the spell check when we post?

sswilson

Staff member
If you look in the upper right hand corner of the posting screen you'll see a checkmark with ABC above it.... that will prompt you to install a small spellchecking app.

Pukka

This may be a little more complex than what people are looking for, but as brianc already posted the root of each drive is already accessible via a hidden administrative share. Simply point to \\ComputerName\C$ (where C is the drive you want to access). You will be prompted for a username and password. Simply pop in a user who has administrative rights to the machine and voila! The root of the drive! This way you are also able to maintain a little more security.

judgelandis

Sharing the root drive

You started out explaining how to share the root drive and wound up sharing the non root drive
(d)...JUDGE

Bobgobang

Thanks this saved me a lot of time fighting with windows. The screen shots made it real quick to see i was on the right track

Thanks again

RavenMind

Thank you soooo much!

I know the original post is rather old but I still wanted to register to thank you. I've searched everywhere on and off for several years for a way to do this, and your solution finally got it working for me. So hats off to you, and if this bumps this thread so more people can find it, then all the better. Thanks again!!!! :biggrin:

P.S., bookmarking this site to see what else you guys have to offer, and will contribute what I can as well. Great job Canucks!

Latest posts