What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to stream cable?

supaflyx3

PikTV (telus) is internet based (can play on phone etc) and with the cheap pricing might at least be worth looking at closer.

And $100 for a landline is outrageous.
Voip.ms was $50 hardware purchase and $0.005/minute long distance and about $2/mo fee for phone number reservation. Most years i'm paying maybe $30-40/year
The only issue with piktv is it's a very closed system. They only have apps for apple tv, iOS, and Android. If you want to use android tv you have to use their shitty set top box, or pull the APK from their box and reverse engineer it to work with other android tv boxes, which is what I did. But the service is free so I can't really complain

JD

Staff member
RiverTV is just a sub-brand of VMedia for what it's worth. I think StackTV is a similar concept, though less content as it's just Corus brands. Bell is launching TV service under the Virgin Mobile brand too (Virgin TV), though I'm guessing it's just Alt TV re-branded. Perhaps it will be OTT though so you don't need Bell Fibe Internet.

If you have friends/relatives that live further south, you could probably share their Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw/etc account and stream a good chunk of things live. I suppose not entirely legal though...

sswilson

Staff member
RiverTV is just a sub-brand of VMedia for what it's worth. I think StackTV is a similar concept, though less content as it's just Corus brands. Bell is launching TV service under the Virgin Mobile brand too (Virgin TV), though I'm guessing it's just Alt TV re-branded. Perhaps it will be OTT though so you don't need Bell Fibe Internet.

If you have friends/relatives that live further south, you could probably share their Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw/etc account and stream a good chunk of things live. I suppose not entirely legal though...
Depends on how it works... the fibe app only works on wifi if the IP matches your home location. It works anywhere if you're on cell data but who can afford that for extended periods of time? :)

Not positive how the browser access works, but I suspect it does an IP check as well. (Stingray music app does a monthly home IP check in a similar fashion).

JD

Staff member
Depends on how it works... the fibe app only works on wifi if the IP matches your home location. It works anywhere if you're on cell data but who can afford that for extended periods of time? :)
I thought some channels were available from anywhere? Like if you went to your "cottage" for the summer.

But yes, at home, if your IP matches, you can watch everything. Not overly difficult to setup a VPN tunnel... though I'm not sure if that works still or not.

danmitch1

Update: Just finished installing and testing the clearstream v2 and I did not get anymore channels than with my homemade antenna. so build one before you buy. Ill have to look into these streaming options.

Latest posts

Twitter