What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how to take off amd heatsink?

mo' power

I think you may have damaged your cpu when you used a screwdriver to pry your cpu off the heatsink. Do you see any bent pins? Have you tried a cmos reset? Have you changed any hardware? System specs please.

hohohee

I think you may have damaged your cpu when you used a screwdriver to pry your cpu off the heatsink. Do you see any bent pins? Have you tried a cmos reset? Have you changed any hardware? System specs please.
ummm well when i was trying to take off the heatsink... the lever is hard to take off..... using flat screw..... then finally it came off but then the heatsink pops right off too and it was not the intention. intention was gonna take the lever clip off first. so the heatsink pop right off ALONG WITH THE CPU STICKING ON THE HEATSINK!

so when i use the 409 grease killer.... flat screw to lift up the cpu then cpu pops out and fail to the motherboard. i retrieve and look.... saw about 10 pins got bent! no idea when did it bent.... it bent when heatsink pop off along with cpu stick in or when the cpu fail to the motherboard when taking off from heatsink. no idea.

anyway i try to install the cpu but it wont go in. took several hours to try to straighten the pins with toothpick then finally got in the holes. put everything back together and power up..... no work. fans is on but no beep. black screen.

no beep black screen happend before i tried to put new thermal paste.

quick overview:
- press power button, everything run but monitor is black aka empty. NO BEEP.
- when power up, keyboard light blink then stop

ruled out
- changed thermal paste for cpu/heatsink...... reseated cpu also
- put ram each one and power up with each
- took all ram off and power up.... no beep
- took out video card
- took out pci sound blaster card
- unplug hdd plug then power up..... no beep
- took off cmos coin for 30min.... no work
- checked motherboard for fried marks and leak capacity.... all looks good
- bought brand new sealed ANTEC 380 GREEN to replace old psu
- changed psu cord
- put other monitor to the system and same black... nothing on screen
- google gazillions..... no solution

the signs start happending last year when the computer starts having trouble when boot up.... sometimes when power up it show black screen... then shut it down then power up again then it would work no problem. now finally it dont work at all. when power up it just everything runs but black monitor.... nothing on monitor

i am sure it is no loose wires or anything cause when it it finally wont boot with monitor at all..... the comp was in use then shut down to go somewhere then back then power up then its the time that it have black screen.... no beep... and cannot make it to work at all.

i google alot and some people got it to work but their problem was not exactly the same.... their situation turns out to be bad psu. but my psu is all good. please someone help!

do you know how to fix it?

no i did not change any hardware. the computer was in use then shut down and went somewhere then come back turn it on and it wont turn on properly. no screen. no beep.

emachines t6212
athlon 3200+
2x 1gb / 2x 512mb
60gb hdd
X850 XT
antec 380 green
xp home
motherboard? no idea

and look at this. YouTube - PC Troubleshooting No Post Diagnosis (NCIX Tech Tips #54) this guy show motherboard that has green light on motherboard. why it dont have light on the emachines t6212 motherboard? do the emachines t6212 not supose to have light on mothebroard? i dont remember seeing any build-in lights for the motherboard. is all moherboard supose to have light?

note the video showing the problem is defective ram and defective graphic card. my situation is both graphic card and ram is fine. still no beep and black screen.

Last edited:

frontier204

Did you plug in the 4-pin ATX connector? I don't see that on your checklist, and no display is a sign of missing / loose CPU power connector.

Otherwise, you may have damaged the CPU (I'm saying this as someone who un-bent pins on a socket 478 CPU by attempting to pry it off in the same way you did). It's possible that you stressed some of the metal in the unbent pins too much for there to be a good connection.

hohohee

Did you plug in the 4-pin ATX connector? I don't see that on your checklist, and no display is a sign of missing / loose CPU power connector.

Otherwise, you may have damaged the CPU (I'm saying this as someone who un-bent pins on a socket 478 CPU by attempting to pry it off in the same way you did). It's possible that you stressed some of the metal in the unbent pins too much for there to be a good connection.

yeah i check that plug and make sure every plugs in the motherboard is not loose.

the bent pin on cpu was after the problem occur. if the cpu is damage... then the problem will stack up haha.... man...

so do you have any other posibility what cause the no post and black screen? talking ignoring the bent pin cause it was after.

and do you know if all motherboard supose to have built-in light on motherboard?

enaberif

You need to put a pc speaker onto that board so you can hear the post beeps otherwise trying to trouble shoot is impossible.

hohohee

You need to put a pc speaker onto that board so you can hear the post beeps otherwise trying to trouble shoot is impossible.
i thought the beep sound comes from motherboard? anyway the speaker was already connected. no hear beep.

enaberif

i thought the beep sound comes from motherboard? anyway the speaker was already connected. no hear beep.
Negative. Some boards DO have one built on but a lot do not.

You need to simply pull the board out of the case and start doing trials.

cpu, ram, power and nothing else outSIDE of the case.

hohohee

Negative. Some boards DO have one built on but a lot do not.

You need to simply pull the board out of the case and start doing trials.

cpu, ram, power and nothing else outSIDE of the case.
umm whats the different doing it in the case and outside the case? whats the benefit for outside case?

The Package

I'm going to have to go with you damaged your CPU. You should never have to pry a CPU from a heatsink with a screwdriver ever.

Twitter