What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how to take off amd heatsink?

enaberif

I'm going to have to go with you damaged your CPU. You should never have to pry a CPU from a heatsink with a screwdriver ever.
Wrong.

In older machines a lot of times the thermal paste would turn almost into a glue like substance and from even the early 486 days it was quite common to pull a cpu from the socket with the heatsink intact.

When this does happen tho you have to make damn sure that you look at EVERY pin on the cpu to make sure they aren't broken, bent or warped which usually happens 90% of the time.

If any of these pins ARE bent its usually fairly simple to bend them back but if some end up broken.. your SOL.

MARSTG

saw about 10 pins got bent!
They bent in the process of removal. I got exactly the same thing trying to remove the fan from a 2 year old platform with a Quad core Phenom. My gf straightened out the pins and the cpu is alive and well in her desktop now. I ordered myself a grease removal kit on newegg but as the heatsink came out with the cpu, I simply let them together on the table, and after a few days it came off by itself. i heard people putting them in the oven too but i don't know if is for real or not. Scary experience, would not repeat. better sell and get something else.

Twitter