What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how to take off amd heatsink?

hohohee

athlon64 3200+
emachines

10313579a834a66503b29486d17a2894c27284b9.png

im replacing the thermal paste but i cant seems to take off the heatsink. ive done this before to other machine and its fine but to this machine is hard to take off.

after i pull the long thing beside the heatsink to release... then theres a small clip on the other side which lock/clip. i cant seems to take it off. plus the psu is near it so its kindda cramp no room. is there any easy way to take it off? do i twist and turn left/right the heatsink first to loose the old thermal paste and then unhook the clip later?

BrutalGreen

flip the release clip, it might be very hard to budge but thats just how it is sometimes...note that usually when its that hard even after uve flipped it, it might not come off instantly and u might have to push the retention bar down on one side to unhook it off the plastic retention mount...

enaberif

flat head screwdriver and you push down and out.

and make sure you don't stab the board if it slips.

Mook06

also, the thermal paste sometimes is extremely cemented in place, turn on the pc for a few mins then turn off, while still warm the paste should let go

_dangtx_

Banned
right on. prime it wel,then wiggle it around

if youre not carefull chippie will come off,and at the wrong angle the pins will go!

hohohee

so it is ok for me to go ahead and wiggle off the thermla paste without taking off the clip on the side yet?

_dangtx_

Banned
slowly,then off the clip,then see to the heatsink.
hard to explain it in words,sometimes i take out the bracket to give me more lateral wiggle space :D

hohohee

i got the heatsink off but the cpu came out with the heatsink and didnt even force it up. how to remove the cpu form the heatsink?

hohohee

i got the cpu off the heatsink by putting 409 i found in the bathoom. the bottle says tough grease remover so tried it. after put on q tip and scrub each 4 sides then put flat head screw driver to lift it out and wala! just pop right off.

now i clean old thermal paste then put new thermal paste...... no work.

power up and same thing. the monitor is empty while everything is running. keyboard lights up and everything but no beep sound.

please help! what cause it?

- took off video card
- rule out ram
- rule out hdd
- rule out coin
- googled gazillions
- no solution
- rule out psu.. cause got brand new antec 380 green... ANTEC!

Latest posts