What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to tell which SSD is which SSD?

Entz

yup that's my point he can just look at how much space is used on his c drive then that will tell him what drive is his os drive in the cloning software unless I am missing. Or his cloning software doesn't tell used space. or just use disk management. maybe I am just missing something lol
The issue, if I am reading it correctly, is that he has 2 identical drives. The problem is knowing which one is the OS drive and which is the data drive. You cannot know which is the proper physical device from free space.

i.e. (Made up)
SATA Port 2 => 512GB Crucial M500 SN1234
SATA Port 1 => 512GB Crucial M500 SN4567

Which port is the OS drive connected to? Maybe its 1, or maybe 1 was added after and the first port was easier to reach.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
yup that's my point he can just look at how much space is used on his c drive then that will tell him what drive is his os drive in the cloning software unless I am missing. Or his cloning software doesn't tell used space. or just use disk management. maybe I am just missing something lol

I havnt migrated in a while, but I'm pritty sure that when I last used the samsung migration software, it only listed drive type/brand and capacity, not used space/free space, because I had the exact same issue of "Ah, which drive goes from where to what? I better double check..."

gingerbee

got ya. yes the cloning software I use does tell you used space. and yes if his problem is which physical drive then just unplug one then boot and if it boots up thats your os drive if not then the one in your hand is lol

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
got ya. yes the cloning software I use does tell you used space. and yes if his problem is which physical drive then just unplug one then boot and if it boots up thats your os drive if not then the one in your hand is lol

Its really hard to clone a drive when you're holding it in your hand, though. ;)

Izerous

Folding Team
Its really hard to clone a drive when you're holding it in your hand, though. ;)
There are external drive cloners... actually it the only way I have been cloning drives lately. shove disk on one side connect one on the otherside and hit the clone button. The cloner provides power to both.

Latest posts