What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to test if MB is fried?

Shadowmeph

I have been having this problem off and on for a couple of months where if I turn off my computer for a while and try to turn it back on I get nothing. If I jump the PSU ( green,black wire) I have power so I know that the PSU if working. I am not sure if it is my CPU or my motherboard that is fried how can I tell if either are friedas of right now I am just guessing, and I really don't want to go out and buy another Motherboard just to find out it is my CPU.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I have been having this problem off and on for a couple of months where if I turn off my computer for a while and try to turn it back on I get nothing. If I jump the PSU ( green,black wire) I have power so I know that the PSU if working. I am not sure if it is my CPU or my motherboard that is fried how can I tell if either are friedas of right now I am just guessing, and I really don't want to go out and buy another Motherboard just to find out it is my CPU.

This sounds to me like a definitive PSU issue. Just because you jump it doesnt mean the PSU is good under load.

Either get a used PSU from a friend, borrow it, and see if the pc works fine or find someone with a PSU load tester (a PC shop may have one).

Flakey startup/shut downs are 9 out of 10 times the PSU.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
You should be fine with a simple 550w.

My rig in sig draws 430 watts from my UPS. This is with prime95 on largeFFT and Furmark runnig. Overclocked everything etc. :thumb:

Shadowmeph

ok well I checked in my HTPC and realized that its power supply was 500watts and had the 24pin connector so I pulled it and just plugged it into my main pcs 4pin and 24 pin and still nothing so does this mean that it could be a Motherboard problem or a cpu problem?

Latest posts