What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how will DDR5 help PC's?

FreeKnight

I'm really hoping ryzen 4000 launches with DDR5 even though I know it's probably 99% unlikely. I'd like to skip a DDR generation and since my next build will probably be another ITX rig, I like the idea that in 4 or so years I can probably upgrade the ram capacity significantly without getting fleeced.

The biggest downside to switching to a Z97 itx from my ATX board is that I can't go past 16 gb (as 2x8 is the biggest I can find in DDR3). Might have to switch back to ye olde ATX rig since I'm not travelling for work much anymore.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I read somewhere else that they arnt expecting it until 2021, so maybe Ryzen 3, but its not on their roadmap.

And with the shutdowns in Asia, dont expect anything to get cheaper. I wont mention the USD/CAD conversion either...

FreeKnight

I read somewhere else that they arnt expecting it until 2021, so maybe Ryzen 3, but its not on their roadmap.

And with the shutdowns in Asia, dont expect anything to get cheaper. I wont mention the USD/CAD conversion either...
Yeah, IIRC that sounded about right. I definitely expect prices to be near-gouging (if not outright gouging) initially. I'll probably upgrade anyway for Ryzen 3, but it'd be nice to have a combo of the next gen CPU, PCIe 4, Wifi 6 and DDR5 on the same board and I've put off upgrade for too long already.

Entz

I guess technically it will help power consumption (dropped .1v) maybe in mobile in a few years once LPDDR5 hits.

My personal belief is that it will only help datacenter level systems (which will get it first) as they can be bandwidth starved. 128T is a crap load of data even for 8 channels and god knows where next gen is going.

Late Edit: Another place it may help is APUs

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

I guess technically it will help power consumption (dropped .1v) maybe in mobile in a few years once LPDDR5 hits.

My personal belief is that it will only help datacenter level systems (which will get it first) as they can be bandwidth starved. 128T is a crap load of data even for 8 channels and god knows where next gen is going.

Late Edit: Another place it may help is APUs
yeh...APU's will benefit...or any CPU with an iGPU, so it'll be good for Intel as well.

I look fwd to the RX Vega vs Xe wars that are coming...

Bond007

Agree with igpu benefitting. Otherwise it’s more about incremental upgrading...usually new ddr isn’t really really any faster than the refined previous gen when it first comes out.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
what would 4800 Mega Transfer / second translate into for the chips speed in mhz?
4800 MT/s/pin is just the DDR speed, or the Mhz, whichever way makes it easier to understand. This would be DDR5-4800, which in theory would be the same as DDR4-4800. Works out to be about 38.4 GB/sec if my math is right.