What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HTPC Case

JoshT

Got enough spare computer components that I want to put together a HTPC. Already know what I'd get if going the tower route, probably a Phanteks Eclipse P400S. What I really want is a HTPC/Desktop style case to put on the shelf, like another piece of equipment sitting on the shelf.

Currently got an Intel mATX board, Core 2 Quad Q6600, OEM size cpu cooler (got a Tuniq Tower or TT Big Typhoon that I'd rather run), a MSI GTX 570, and a 600 watt Corsair PSU.

I suppose my biggest requirements would be that it support ATX motherboards and full size graphics cards. Front USB and audio jacks would be a plus. Large fans for quite cooling. An ODD bay and maybe a card reader would be nice as well, but not necessary.

So far I've found the Lian Li PC-C60 which ticks most of the boxes, but I'm wandering what else is out there.

Any suggestions?

JoshT

You're limiting yourself quite a bit for HTPC usage if you want ATX motherboard compatibility, just FYI.

Agreed,but ATX support is a must. Right now I'm building it with old components that I had collecting dust. Those components would fit a mATX case, but they will be replaced in the not too distant future (I hope) with the components that are currently in my desktop. That motherboard is ATX form factor.

JoshT

Ok, so I'm thinking I might just say to heck with the HTPC case idea. The Phanteks Eclipse P400S is really growing on me. Only thing that it lacks is an ODD, and that really isn't necessary. It's a good looking case and I don't think it would look out of place sitting there by my TV stand. It'll be easier to work with, more expandable for future modifications, and with the sound deadening probably quieter. Only down side to it is no ODD bay, but I've also got a blue ray player connected to that TV and will mostly be using the computer to stream. Just downloaded Kodi the other day and it looks interesting.

Groove

I have the Silverstone Grandia GD09. Fit an ATX system fine. Size wise it about the same size as a full size stereo receiver, maybe a little bigger. Quality is top notch, the brushed finish is really nice and fits well in the living room. Like you, I had spare parts lying around with an atx mobo so atx compatibility was something I was looking for when I was looking for the case. The Grandia line is reasonably priced as well.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
if you want a quiet, cheap case I went with the Corsair 100 silent version. It's just a plain front with the standard front I/O.
You can't lean it on it's side or anything, the side panels bubble out. Not really sure if that would fit the bill, but it is certainly quiet. I have it on my desk beside me.

If I were going the desktop method, I'd probably go with the fractal 605 as previously mentioned. I personally like the simple front, clean design.
Or maybe the node 202 with PSU. I'd have to check the hsf clearances though. Also, it's a mITX board instead of mATX.. but yeah.

Latest posts