What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Htpc cooler recommendations?

Shadowarez

Got the silverstone gd08 case HTPC max height is 140mm high that limits my choices I was going to use a nice Noctua NH-U12A I'm thinking 240 AIO but not sure what will fit in side as that looks bout were the 2 8pins will go on my sage board.

Shadowarez

Maybe down road was going to get a 7900x in few months once I snag one for a crazy deal like my 7820x I got for $340.

sswilson

Staff member
Not sure how much more cooling it would provide over and above a stock cooler, but something like the Noctua NH-L125 should fit fine and it looks like it's got a fair bit of clearance...

edit: Oh, and the silverstone product page lists the clearance as 138mm vice 140 so you'd want to do your research on fit before grabbing something that high....

Shadowarez

Yeah I seen that I got a cryorig c1 but it's listed as 144 why I was thinking a 240 AIO of needed but I'd have to find alt mounting points.

clshades

I'd be going with a single core AIO cooler with a good, quiet, 4 pin low pro fan. Fan noise is an absolute killer if it's in the same room.

Alternatively, a remotely placed Plex server with a Chromecast. Some TVs out there serve Plex very well. I look after a place called skicrescendo and everything is a Plex server/Chromecast with either TV support for the Plex app or a simple tablet that only runs Plex/casting and Sonos.

The nice thing about Plex on a tablet is you can do kiosk mode which really simplifies things.

JD

Staff member
I think a 92mm tower style heatsink might be better suited based on how that case is setup. Since it has dual fans by the CPU, those could act as intake to a tower heatsink. A downdraft style isn't going to leverage the case airflow as much.

Noctua has these for example:

You could potentially use this AIO mounted to the rear 80mm fans: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-H5-SF-Low-Profile-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060023-WW

Shadowarez

I think I'll grab that noctua wurh a 2nd 92 mm fan then I'll add 2 80mm noctua in back with every 120mm fan mount I'll put in gentle typhoons.

Twitter