What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery HTPC(Main) Build - Air 240 mITX

Soultribunal

Staff member
I came to realize that it has been way to long since I posted what I am currently running in my house.
So, I decided to make a small gallery of my current setup.

Specs:
EVGA Stinger Z87 mITX Board
Intel Core i7 4770K
2 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 (something I am still debating on upgrading or not)
NVidia GTX780
Thermaltake BigTyph Revo Downdraft Cooler
Corsair RMi 650W PSU
OS Drive - Kingston HyperX 240GB
Steam Drive - WD Velociraptor 300GB
Storage Drive - WD Black 500GB
Cooling - 4 x Corsair Purple LED 120mm Fans, 2 x Coolermaster Slim 80mm Fans
Silverstone PWM Hub Fan Splitter
All Wedged into a Corsair Air 240

Ideally I will upgrade this to Skylake sometime in the Fall hopefully, and cross my fingers that I can Afford Pascal whenever that launches. Should Breathe some life into it.

-ST

Bond007

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. Any reason you chose a downdraft cooler for this build, or did you already have it?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Looks good! Thanks for sharing. Any reason you chose a downdraft cooler for this build, or did you already have it?

Better airflow over the board components (it literally is cooling the RAM, MOSFET's, Chipset all in one.
Usually on larger builds you have lots of other fans around to accommodate for that.

And, the AIR 240's one weakness is its top panel. Its too thin to mount a decent powered fan without creating some serious vibration/reverberation. Which its unfortunate because overall its a good case.

-ST

Bond007

Better airflow over the board components (it literally is cooling the RAM, MOSFET's, Chipset all in one.
Usually on larger builds you have lots of other fans around to accommodate for that.

And, the AIR 240's one weakness is its top panel. Its too thin to mount a decent powered fan without creating some serious vibration/reverberation. Which its unfortunate because overall its a good case.

-ST

Thanks for the info. I wonder how much of an impact tower or water cooling has on RAM/MOB component temps vs downdraft...it has to be notable.

My next build will be ITX and probably something similar to yours. Who knows when that will be.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I wonder how much of an impact tower or water cooling has on RAM/MOB component temps vs downdraft...it has to be notable.

My next build will be ITX and probably something similar to yours. Who knows when that will be.

Its so dependent on the case, fans used, board layout ect ect that I find it hard to Quantify.
However, that being said from personal experience when I had my Z87 Intel board (god I miss those), it was cooled with an H60. I added a Corsair Fan cooler afterwards and it made about a 7 degree difference (if you can believe the monitoring software).

I know many things are designed to survive high temps, but I believe the cooler I keep things, the longer they will survive.

If you are going mITX but don't might a larger than normal footprint, the Air240 does have its merits.

-ST

lowfat

Staff member
Pretty beefy HTPC. I assume you game on it?

EDIT: Noticed the Steam drive, so I guess that answers my question. :doh:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Pretty beefy HTPC. I assume you game on it?

EDIT: Noticed the Steam drive, so I guess that answers my question. :doh:

Yeah it is, its an HTPC but also a Main since I don't have anything else.
Summer I'll make a Z170 as a Main and then this will be my backup.

-ST

Latest posts