What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HTPC Streaming Movies over Network

lcdguy

Folding Team
Here is my dilemma,

I would really prefer to be streaming my ripped dvd's (i own them all) over my network to my home theatre PC, my problem is that the connection between the NAS and my HTPC would dip down to 4000KBps which is too low for uncompressed dvd content. Is there a way to force a network connection to run a specified speed. In the mean time my solution was to install an ungodly amount of HD's into my HTPC.

Thanks,

Lcdguy

donimo

Actually that will work with a lot of NAS units, hook the NAS up to the HTPC with the USB/firewire cable, but leave it hooked up to the network for the other PC's to use...

enaberif

Here is my dilemma,

I would really prefer to be streaming my ripped dvd's (i own them all) over my network to my home theatre PC, my problem is that the connection between the NAS and my HTPC would dip down to 4000KBps which is too low for uncompressed dvd content. Is there a way to force a network connection to run a specified speed. In the mean time my solution was to install an ungodly amount of HD's into my HTPC.

Thanks,

Lcdguy

Your gonna need to use a gigabit network and if you are using wireless that won't work at all.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Why is your network dropping down like that? Solve that and solve your problem. I can stream HD content using my 56mbs wireless no problem.

lcdguy

Folding Team
1. Can't use the USB like that on my NAS unit it's only used for attaching extra storage.
2. Gigabit would be nice except i can't afford a 24 port managed gigabit switch
3. In regards to the network dipping i am not sure. Since my hardware is fairly high quailty.

All Devices Connect to a Netgear FMS726 Managed 10/100 Switch with 2x 10/100/1000 Uplink. FYI my nas is an Intel SS4000-E.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Could be something as simple as a setting somewhere, like QOS, or a firmware flash is needed. No need to throw money at this problem just yet man. Post at the AVS forum or Doom9 forum, there are a billion guru's there who can help you.

An uncompressed full 1080p DTS stream maxes out at 25mbs. DVD is like 6mbs I think. You should have bandwidth to spare.

lcdguy

Folding Team
so i managed to remove QOS on my xp boxes and low and behold my network is alot faster now. Except for that stupid nas of mine. Still slow as anything even when using the gigabit ports on my switch. but transfers between pc's is lightning fast. aver trans fer speeds rang from 25-40K KBps. except for the nas which peaks around 6500 :(

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Well there we go. Your NAS is dogging it. As per the specs, you should be peaking at 150mbs on the usb 2.0 and totally saturating the 100mbs ethernet.

lcdguy

Folding Team
well as far as the 10/100 is concerned even at the 40MBps speed it's still only hitting around 35% network utilization. Ah well. I guess i need to look at a gigabit switch. I have been looking at a SMC 16 port Gigabit that is unmanaged :)

Latest posts