What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress I AM CANADIAN, and my computer uses winter air!

Jared11

Well, I don't know if anyone else utilizes their climate like myself for computer cooling, but it works for me. I will post up some pics soon for everyone. So far the winter temps in Canada have been higher than normal for 2011-2012, but regardless my computer is very chilly. Right now these are my temps:
CPU: 9C (Lowest Core Temp) *Core i5 750 @ 2.97Ghz*
HDD1: 8C *Seagate 500GB*
HDD2: 7C *WD Raptor 80GB*
GPU1: 29C *GTX 280*
GPU2: 25C *GTX 280*

Ambient Case temps are roughly 7C to 11C. I am using an Antec 900 case, and the front two 120mm fans induct cold air from a nearby window. (Again, I will upload pics soon.)

Last year was the first year I set this up, and in which achieved the lowest temps so far inside of my case. Below is a pic of HWMonitor from last years lowest idle captured scores from using winter air. (All specs and system OC/Configs are the same as this year)
cold.jpg

Last edited:

supaflyx3

I wish i could do this, but I dont want to waste energy keeping my heat on just so i can sleep at night :(

gingerbee

be careful you get your hdd to close or below zero they may freeze up as in not working any more i had this happen many times in the past when doing something similar

zsamz_

if i was to use my pc n my room was that cold i would rather go out n play with the sow lol

get some watercooling gear n put the rad outside @ least you be nice n toasty

KaptCrunch

Well, I don't know if anyone else utilizes their climate like myself for computer cooling, but it works for me. I will post up some pics soon for everyone. So far the winter temps in Canada have been higher than normal for 2011-2012, but regardless my computer is very chilly. Right now these are my temps:
CPU: 9C (Lowest Core Temp) *Core i5 750 @ 2.97Ghz*
HDD1: 8C *Seagate 500GB*
HDD2: 7C *WD Raptor 80GB*
GPU1: 29C *GTX 280*
GPU2: 25C *GTX 280*

Ambient Case temps are roughly 7C to 11C. I am using an Antec 900 case, and the front two 120mm fans induct cold air from a nearby window. (Again, I will upload pics soon.)

be careful you get your hdd to close or below zero they may freeze up as in not working any more i had this happen many times in the past when doing something similar

other important thing is temp cycling of cpu will cause cpu socket sweat

use DIELECTRIC GREASE on cpu socket contacts

KaptCrunch

I'd be really worried about condensation. Anything below the ambient room temp may start dripping.

depends on humidi, winter not that bad but summer time yes 6 degree's(difference) becomes damp and shorts out things

Last edited:

Notagiant

There is no risk in "freezing". Almost every extreme overclocking contest uses liquid nitrogen at well below 0C to cool their CPU, GPU and chipsets to reach their 5+ GHz clock speeds. The risk lies in condensation. Even though the air is considerably dryer in the winter than in our lovely Canadian summers, it still contains a fair amount of moisture in the form of water vapour. If any of the surfaces of your components hits the dew point, water droplets would form on them and you could run the risk of shorting something out.

Now, the good news is that you would probably have to go below 0C on the surface of one of your components for this to happen, so it is highly unlikely. For example:

Today, in Ottawa, the relative humidity is about 70%. From your info, your air temperature is about 10C. The dew point at that temperature and humidity is somewhere between -5C and -10C. It is not 100% impossible for this to happen, but is is unprobable. Where you run into real risk is near your hotter components (heat sinks, RAM, GPU). The higher the ambient, the higher the dew point. A quick blast of cold air over a component that is running with air around 20C would form dew at only 12C! YIKES!!

The ideal way to do this and eliminate risk would be to run the air intake over a mole sieve or dessicant system in order to remove moisture from the air, dropping its relative humidity. Knocking 10% off of the humidity could buy you an additional 7-10C of buffer on the dew point (depending on your temperatures and average humidity). EDIT: Or using dielectric grease, as mentioned above. Some people have even gone as far as to melt candle wax around problematic condensation spots. :)

Long story short, I like when others take advantage of what we are stuck with. Just be careful! No one wants to see you short out your whole system or even start a fire.

geokilla

if i was to use my pc n my room was that cold i would rather go out n play with the sow lol

get some watercooling gear n put the rad outside @ least you be nice n toasty
What snow?

This is pretty stupid from a home owner point of view. The room is freezing cold, which means the heat is on 24/7. Have fun paying your electricity and natural gas bill.

Latest posts