What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I am really frustrated computer crashes on boot

chrisk

Folding Captain
Your computer either has a video card or video capabilities built on to your motherboard. Your monitor plugs into it on the back of the computer.

I think using your parents' psu is a bad idea. 300W is not much, and it is not clear what your system specs are or your parents' PSU specs.

My recommendation is to take it to a computer shop that has spare parts and save you and your parents some possible headache. Since you saw smoke coming out of your old PSU I would imagine that you need that at least, and its gonna run you about $50 for a decent PSU I linked for you earlier.

Good luck with this guy!

andynerd

Thanks and your probably right! Now i just need to get a job to pay for it ahaha. DAMN MY LAZYNESS!!

DarKStar

Thanks and your probably right! Now i just need to get a job to pay for it ahaha. DAMN MY LAZYNESS!!
Good luck finding a job - you might as well start your own busienss you'll have better luck :biggrin:

When you buy your next PSU don't look strictly at the wattage rating - but read the entire set of ratings carefuly - and stay away from cheap generic crap - check your total amperage ratings and read the specs for rails combined - vs. your system requirements - if you are not sure you can go to the respective web site manufacturer and check the spec sheets for each component......this will avoid future PSU explosions or even causing a general power outage in your area ;-)

andynerd

something is wrong though i just feel so uneasy. After messing with jumpers and other parts of the mobo it stoped working and i doubt starting the computer without plugging in some things would hurt the psu. The psu only smoked after I switch it fom 115 to 230 because in ontario my dad wasn't sure of the raitng he was sure the house had 240v or somthing.

frontier204

If you really want to verify what voltage you're wired with, check the markings on a light bulb ;)
Anyway, moving the switch from 110 to 220V setting shouldn't have smoked the PSU. Any decent power supply would have an "undervoltage" protection trigger, and just fail to start.
BTW, I just tried on my PSU; when I flipped the switch from 110V to 220V, the computer just refused to start. Everything was nice and happy again after switching back to the 110V mode.

The site Uncomplicating the Complicated | Hardware Secrets has some of the best PSU reviews I ever saw; they also review some "cheap" power supplies.

Shadowmeph

woah you switch it from 114 to 230 not a good move now you probably fried allot of things now

chrisk

Folding Captain
I have never tried this but I don't think going to 240 in US/Canada would damage the PS, and would result in the computer just not starting, but I am not the one with a smoking PSU.

I think your computer damage has more to do with all the stuff you either forgot to plug in/plugged in wrong/perhaps shorted. You mention jumpers that you did not know were for, that you removed/lost etc. Perhaps your PS was on the way out and the 'undervolting' was just the final straw...who knows, since so many other things had gone wrong.

By reviewing this thread and the others you created on this issue and sincerely wanting to help, I strongly suggest that you not use your parents' 300w psu or other parts to troubleshoot, and take it to a shop to get fixed. If you want to get adventurous go get the $50 psu I linked for you, and see if your computer will boot, but by looking through the threads again, I suggest you not take this route.

andynerd

I have never tried this but I don't think going to 240 in US/Canada would damage the PS, and would result in the computer just not starting, but I am not the one with a smoking PSU.

I think your computer damage has more to do with all the stuff you either forgot to plug in/plugged in wrong/perhaps shorted. You mention jumpers that you did not know were for, that you removed/lost etc. Perhaps your PS was on the way out and the 'undervolting' was just the final straw...who knows, since so many other things had gone wrong.

By reviewing this thread and the others you created on this issue and sincerely wanting to help, I strongly suggest that you not use your parents' 300w psu or other parts to troubleshoot, and take it to a shop to get fixed. If you want to get adventurous go get the $50 psu I linked for you, and see if your computer will boot, but by looking through the threads again, I suggest you not take this route.
thanks and the whole using my parents psu i took your advice not to do it!:)

Shadowmeph

also take a look around for the same mother board look at the diagrams to see where the Jumpers are connected ( google) or go the the motherboard makers website to get the proper Diagram

DarKStar

When you're talking about a more expensive, quality PSU, they have protection circuits in them - but since yours was a very low grade, generic PSU you can bet your @$$ that it doesn't have **** all protection - and if I recall, those old generic PSU could be damaged by running them without any load on any voltage - AND if they were bad could damage your components as well......... So I'd be curious to see what else besides your PSU is damaged, unless you are very lucky - might be a good idea next time not to try those experiments, follow the instructions and make sure everything is plugged in before turning on. A good PSU is a best investment you can make in your system because that is what powers all your system - I ended up paying much more for my PSU than I paid for my 4 Gb of RAM :D but worth it !

Latest posts

Twitter