What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I don't know what's going on with my GTX 970

sswilson

Staff member
Might also be worthwhile to uninstall Afterburner (and any other controlling software) on the off chance that it's gone rogue or is conflicting with a different program.

KaptCrunch

agree remove any past or present video drivers and set to default display for a few restarts to clear out old drivers then get current drivers for your video card

also check MB drivers are up to date

clshades

When weird shit happens with video cards after a long run from a different brand (AMD) to the new one (nvidia) it's time to format and start fresh. Until then u are ghost hunting...

Vittra

Two things to do when switching video cards BEFORE you do the switch:

1) Uninstall any OC software you have (Afterburner, Trixx, etc) including any settings. You want to re-install it fresh so there's no conflicting settings and so that it detects your new card properly.

2) Uninstall old drivers completely, boot into safe mode, and run a driver cleaning program like DDU

If you've already installed the new card, that's okay. You will still follow the above two steps.

If you are still experiencing performance issues, but it is only a specific game, you can try changing that specific games application profile to "Maximum Performance" as has been stated earlier in this thread.

If you are STILL having issues, then you will definitely want to consider formatting and reinstalling the OS as has been suggested. I've never had to do something so drastic, but it doesn't surprise me that some people have had no choice.

It's important to keep in mind that even if it is the same brand that you've switched to, different architectures can still act oddly with old software/registry entries still present on the machine.

I've switched cards more than I'd care to admit in the past 4 years (including multi-gpu setups) and following the above routine has resulted in minimal difficulties experienced.

Last edited:

clshades

Yep totally agree with the above post. Sometimes hours or days of trouble shooting are remedied with a format.

estKoncept

Thanks all for the help, I decided to just go ahead and reformat and it seems to have fixed the problem! Now, is there a way I can mark this solved or something?

MARSTG

No, we don't have a system like on Yahoo answers, we can see what you have chosen to do as fix, is enough.

sswilson

Staff member
Glad to hear it's resolved. Sometimes a fresh install is just the easiest and quickest way of resolving an issue like this. Especially when a full install is relatively quick.

Latest posts

Twitter