What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I give up...need help please. System locks up during gameplay

HiTi

I apologize in advance if information is all over the place, I am just typing everything as it comes to me

I got a powercolor lcd 6970 that worked perfectly in another machine ...since then I had got a 670 and new machine so these were actually sold ( I have 2 ) and the buyer reported back 2 months later that they weren't stable. So, me being the person I am ...refunded his money after he sent the cards back to me.
They looked mint...clean as the day they left me.
Both cards work perfectly for normal tasks..movies,surfing, YouTube,etc. but the pc crashes at random times during game play. Completely random...no warning or distortion of video. When it works...it works great
The PC is one I just picked up for my son locally (which works fine with a lower end gpu )
Game I was testing was BF2BC2 and was using heaven
It has the following
AMD X4 965 BE C3
Asus Crosshair lll
2 x 4 Gb Patriot memory 9-9-9-24 1.9v
PowerColor lcs HD6970 2GB
Samsung HD204UI 2 TB hard drive
Thermaltake TR-2 600w psu ( got this against my better judgement,,,and am leaning towards this )
ATCS 840 with three stock 230mm fans
D5 vario pump
TFC 360mm rad
18" monitor so no demanding resolutions here 1366 x 768
Temps are great..video card stays under 45 degrees in game and same for the cpu
The memory was set (auto) to 7-7-7-24 in the bios with 1.5 v and I changed it to 9-9-9-24 1.7v and that seemed to improve things a bit. I haven't ran memtest yet, but am going to let it run tonight
Thought it was the hard drive...defragged, ran various test. One error does show up Calibration retry count
but it passes all self tests.
I down clocked the video card to see if that changed anything...and no change
Shut off AMD overdrive in catalyst control center
removed all amd drivers and installed older driver
updated bios
turned on llc in the bios
upped cpu voltage to 1.4

Things I just thought of to try
shut off hpet in the bios
shut off eist

Any pointers or anything that sounds out of place?
I can supply whatever info needed. I usually like to figure this out on my own, but I am at a mental roadblock and need some help
Thank you in advance everyone...I'm just not that familiar with AMD systems anymore and am not sure where to look, although I still suspect the TR2 that I picked up to basically test everything.

great_big_abyss

I'm not too familiar with the procedures used to test, but check out the video memory.

Ages ago I had a 5830 that exhibited similar symptoms to yours. It turns out the VRAM was faulty. I RMA'd the card, and was good to go.

Your 6970 should still have warranty left on it.

HiTi

crap ...that would suck
but defiantly a possibility.Google will be my friend to see if there is a way to test that
Thanks...never thought of the vram being an issue.

HiTi

awesome...thank you all.
I'm gonna screw with it a bit more tonight and see what happens

HiTi

just passed furmark benchmark 50 highest temp
and passed memtest.
going to give the burn in test a go and see what happens

IRQ Conflict

Great, if it passes that and your getting lock ups chances are it's the driver. Kinda sucks but you may have to install/reinstall the drivers to find which woks. Though you had a nVidia driver in the registry before hand? Do you use Driver Sweeper?

HiTi

I used amd's removal tool to get rid of the 13.4 driver and loaded 12.6It was a fresh format that I did yesterday so I think tonight I will throw another hard drive in and format again and see what happens. I think I'll try 12.8's as that was the last ones I used with the card and they seemed to work fine
How long should I leave fur mark running by chance?

HiTi

One thing I just remembered that happened yesterday during the original installWas ccc would not run after installing the driver due to missing components of net framework
I had to download and install net framework seperatly to get ccc to even start
Never had that happen before

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and help. Ill get this goin yet! I hope lol

Latest posts