What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I have a few concerns regarding ultrawide monitors

Nekku

So I've had my eyes on Dell Alienware aw3418dw for quite some time now. But what always held me back from purchasing it is from what I hear that not all MMORPG and JRPG games support 21:9 ratio which would lead to having black bars on the side. My main concern is will there be any IPS glow on the those black bars since its known to be visible in a dark environment? My other concern is, I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade coming from Asus vg248qe. I'm basically sacrificing 20hz but I'm not a FPS player so it isnt all that important to me. My main reason for upgrading is for better clarity and immersive experience that supports my hardware. Will I see a big difference coming from 1080p TN to 1440p IPS? I've also never experienced Gsync before so I'm curious about that too.

Hardware specs:
CPU: Intel 8700k @4.7ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB

Lysrin

Some comments:

1. For IPS glow, yes if the monitor has some you will see it on black bars the same as you would see it on any dark or black content. How much it bothers you would depend on how much glow the monitor has and how sensitive you are to it. My ultrawide has a bit in the top left corner but I never find it too distracting in games, even with the black bars.

2. You will notice a big difference going from a 24" to a 34" ultrawide, assuming that is what you are looking at if you are talking 1440p. In terms of immersion, depending on the game type you play, yes it is awesome. Of course that is my opinion :) On games that support ultrawide, which is pretty much all for new games, and even some older games have been patched, it is pretty hard to beat. However something like a 32" 4:3 monitor would also be very impressive, so you could go that route if you knew you planned to play a lot of older games that don't support ultrawide. With the black bars on a 34" ultrawide you end up with a 1440p screen size that is physically a bit smaller than a 27" 1440p monitor, so bear that in mind. For flight sims, space sims, driving games an ultrawide is pretty hard to beat for a single monitor configuration.

3. Be aware that if you go to a 3440x1440 ultrawide you a pushing A LOT more pixels for gaming than at 1920x1080 and that impacts your performance. I have a 1080Ti and I rarely if ever stay at 100 fps with high graphics settings in newer games. Your 1070 will have some issue with high graphics settings if you want high fps. Bear that in mind. I tend to run between 50-80 fps depending on the game. I'm happy with that and it also helps that I have...

4. G-Sync. For me that is the single best graphics improvement I have ever had. I am very susceptible to screen tearing as in I notice it immediately. G-Sync eliminates that completely for me and makes my gaming experience far superior for my eyes. G-Sync adds a price premium but FreeSync is also an option on NVIDIA now although you need to do your research.

There are members on here with that exact monitor so they can add info for the specific one you are considering.

rjbarker

I've had this Dell monitor for maybe 2 yrs now.........no issues with games not supporting the Ultra wide Display....3440*1440p is quite common now.....Gsync is amazing (if youre coming from non Gsync)......the monitor is amazing!!!! Highly recomended....provided you have some decent HW to push the pixels :).....btw Dell sets a very high standard with Monitors.....

Nekku

Some comments:

1. For IPS glow, yes if the monitor has some you will see it on black bars the same as you would see it on any dark or black content. How much it bothers you would depend on how much glow the monitor has and how sensitive you are to it. My ultrawide has a bit in the top left corner but I never find it too distracting in games, even with the black bars.

2. You will notice a big difference going from a 24" to a 34" ultrawide, assuming that is what you are looking at if you are talking 1440p. In terms of immersion, depending on the game type you play, yes it is awesome. Of course that is my opinion :) On games that support ultrawide, which is pretty much all for new games, and even some older games have been patched, it is pretty hard to beat. However something like a 32" 4:3 monitor would also be very impressive, so you could go that route if you knew you planned to play a lot of older games that don't support ultrawide. With the black bars on a 34" ultrawide you end up with a 1440p screen size that is physically a bit smaller than a 27" 1440p monitor, so bear that in mind. For flight sims, space sims, driving games an ultrawide is pretty hard to beat for a single monitor configuration.

3. Be aware that if you go to a 3440x1440 ultrawide you a pushing A LOT more pixels for gaming than at 1920x1080 and that impacts your performance. I have a 1080Ti and I rarely if ever stay at 100 fps with high graphics settings in newer games. Your 1070 will have some issue with high graphics settings if you want high fps. Bear that in mind. I tend to run between 50-80 fps depending on the game. I'm happy with that and it also helps that I have...

4. G-Sync. For me that is the single best graphics improvement I have ever had. I am very susceptible to screen tearing as in I notice it immediately. G-Sync eliminates that completely for me and makes my gaming experience far superior for my eyes. G-Sync adds a price premium but FreeSync is also an option on NVIDIA now although you need to do your research.

There are members on here with that exact monitor so they can add info for the specific one you are considering.
Thanks Lysrin for the quick and informative reply. Funny thing is as soon as i posted my message the monitor went on sale! As if it's begging me to buy it. xD

After doing some extensive research on the monitor + your reply, i think at the end of the day the pros will outweigh the cons. So heres to hoping i'll get a healthy monitor!

rjbarker

^^^^ You wont be dissapointed!!! btw its huge......wait till you see the size of the box !! Although I didnt notice whether you mentioned you were upgrading GPU.......you'll defintely have to dial down settings with a single 1070 and 3440*1440....

Nekku

^^^^ You wont be dissapointed!!! btw its huge......wait till you see the size of the box !! Although I didnt notice whether you mentioned you were upgrading GPU.......you'll defintely have to dial down settings with a single 1070 and 3440*1440....
Haha, i appreciate the reinforced optimism! Yeah ive been thinking upgrading to 1080ti. Im not too sure if i'll get big improvement from the RTX family, especially considering the price difference. Btw, do you have your monitor calibrated? I hear adjusting it from factory settings could make the colors pop more and slightly decreasing back light bleed adjusting gamma in nvidia control panel

Lysrin

I'm pleased with my 1080Ti at 3440x1440. Certainly never felt the need to spend the vast price difference to go to the 2080 or 2080Ti. Sure, I'd love to have one, but I couldn't convince myself for the price.

I have never calibrated my X34. Just set up what colour etc. looked right to me. Definitely would help though if you work with graphics, photo editing, etc.

Mr. Friendly

I have two UltraSharp U3415w's and don't regret getting it.

on my radar now is the new P44 from Lenovo. they have an office version and a gaming version. it essentially provides you with two 27" 1440p displays side by side with no bezel. note, it can be configured into multiple virtual displays...so 44", 2x 27" or whatever else you want to have it as.

rjbarker

Haha, i appreciate the reinforced optimism! Yeah ive been thinking upgrading to 1080ti. Im not too sure if i'll get big improvement from the RTX family, especially considering the price difference. Btw, do you have your monitor calibrated? I hear adjusting it from factory settings could make the colors pop more and slightly decreasing back light bleed adjusting gamma in nvidia control panel
No I didnt do any calibration at all....didnt see the need...looked great out of the box....set refresh rate 120 Hz and output to Display Port.....that's it.....going from either 1070 or 1080Ti to a single 2080Ti would certainly be a great improvement...but yep....there very expensive Cards....

Lysrin

I have two UltraSharp U3415w's and don't regret getting it.

on my radar now is the new P44 from Lenovo. they have an office version and a gaming version. it essentially provides you with two 27" 1440p displays side by side with no bezel. note, it can be configured into multiple virtual displays...so 44", 2x 27" or whatever else you want to have it as.
That a beastly thing Mr. Friendly, but this link says 3840 x 1200 resolution. So wider, but less vertical. I wouldn't like that. I'd actually like to have 1600 vertical if I could. Is there another model of the Lenovo?
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/professional/P44w-10A18434LP043-4inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/61D5RAT1UK

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter