What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I have a few concerns regarding ultrawide monitors

sswilson

Staff member
Quick tip.... if you're interested in calibrating your display but don't want to drop the coin on a spyder or Munki that you'll only use once or twice a year you can always check with your local photography shop. Many of them have colormeter kits that they rent out for a fraction of what it would cost to buy new.

Lysrin

no, you're right Lysrin...it is 1200, which is really odd. at least it's not 1080!

guess it's off my radar now. :p
Well, it almost got on mine! 😏 1200 is better than 1080 as you say, and fine for games I would think, but I need that extra vertical res for anything else I work on.

JD

Staff member
IMO, once you go ultrawide, you'll never go back. And the AW3418DW is the best monitor I've had yet, the G-SYNC does help more than I expected with smoothing out frame rates to keep games running nicely. I didn't really notice any FPS dips with my 1080 Ti, though I've since upgraded to a 2080 Ti.

And if you don't want black bars, you could run those games in windowed mode maybe? Then you could have your chat/browser/etc off to the side while you play.

Nekku

The AW3418DW monitor came in yesterday and i've been on my pc the entire day! Thats how much i enjoyed it. Its like wearing a vr headset but better since the display is a lot more crisp. I'd like to thank ya'll for encouraging me to buy it and for those are in doubt or hesitant getting this monitor or ultrawide in general, make the right decision and buy it cuz it'll definitely captivate you leaving zero regret on the purchase! As for the performance coming from a 1070 i havent noticed much fps loss from the games i usually play. But im sure some of the triple A games will be a lot more difficult to run on high-ultra settings at a comfortable fps

JD

Staff member
As for the performance coming from a 1070 i havent noticed much fps loss from the games i usually play.
Yeah, I find G-SYNC helps a lot in that aspect, seems to help smooth out the FPS if you do drop below the refresh rate.

Lysrin

Congrats! Nice purchase indeed. Very glad you are happy with it. Pics of it in its new natural habitat are always appreciated ;)

Lpfan4ever

At this rate I think HWC should be getting commission from Alienware from all the AW3418DWs purchases we've caused.

rjbarker

The AW3418DW monitor came in yesterday and i've been on my pc the entire day! Thats how much i enjoyed it. Its like wearing a vr headset but better since the display is a lot more crisp. I'd like to thank ya'll for encouraging me to buy it and for those are in doubt or hesitant getting this monitor or ultrawide in general, make the right decision and buy it cuz it'll definitely captivate you leaving zero regret on the purchase! As for the performance coming from a 1070 i havent noticed much fps loss from the games i usually play. But im sure some of the triple A games will be a lot more difficult to run on high-ultra settings at a comfortable fps
Welcome to the "Club"......yes Triple A's will definitely need more GPU HP....I have 2 x 1080Ti's.....Played wildlands with everything cranked I was around 85-90FPS.....with 120Hz monitor and Gsync cloer you can get to achieving 120 FPS the better !!!!

At this rate I think HWC should be getting commission from Alienware from all the AW3418DWs purchases we've caused.
I think so.....credit on our next Dell purchase !!!!

Twitter