What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I keep having failed DVD Drives

Waughter

So, I am now on my fourth DVD drive in two years. They just keep failing. This last one was an Asus. Before that there was an LG, an HP, and a Lite-on. My build is as follows:

EVGA X58 mobo
Cooler Master V8 cooler
12GB (6x2GB) OCZ Gold 1600MHz RAM
i7-920 Processor (overclocked to 3.4GHz)
Raptor-X 150GB HDD (Primary)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB HDD (Storage)
BFG Tech GTX 260 (OC)
Thermaltake 750W (Bronze Rated) PSU
Kandalf LCS Case

Anyone familiar with this? Is this just something I should learn to deal with or am I having a bad rash of DVD drives? I don't really use them that often and when they fail I am never using them. It always happens the same way. I go to power on my machine and it hangs during POST. Then I unplug the DVD drive and it boots up fine. Then I try again with the DVD drive plugged back in and it boots but the DVD drive doesn't work. So...What's up? Can a SATA port kill drives? Could it be the PSU? I just don't get it.

KaptCrunch

is firmware up to date on drive and what port hooked on? try last

failed drives mite be overheated have good air flow in case or system in harsh enviroment

martin_metal_88

I vote that your PSU is killing them off.
Those Thermaltake ones were not high quality.

-ST

I skipeped your PSU spec on the first post but I have to add that we have a TR-2 600w in our tech system at job and we have dead part very often. I actually have the change the LG dvd drive soon because it's starting to act crazy. But well, the person that buy stuff at my job is a terrible thermaltake fan so we only have those crap -_- damn...

Avenger212

I used to have a Thermaltake powersupply and over that same year that I bought it, I ended up replacing several of my hardware until the PSU gave up on me. I second the motion it's the PSU's fault.

stoanee

Folding Team
Good to know, I have to put together a new system for wife as hers will not post. It currently has an OCZ GameExreme 600 in it which I was going to use again. I have decided to pop a new Corsair HX750 into it as well, and this post confirms that decision. Once again HWC rocks.................:thumb:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Thermaltake is trying to get better OEM's (Grandpower) but the TRX, TR2 etc etc are crap.

Get a different supply,

-ST

Shadowmeph

are you saying that there is no power what so ever to the drive or are you saying that when you are booted into desktop that the drive doesn't show up?

maybe try a different power Plug and sata port for the DVD then see what happens

KaptCrunch

this why i hate (china made) modular PSU for connections are flaky, have safety pin connections now and again to keep power coming

Latest posts