What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

I know nothing about iPad

CTA

Can you please point me out for any advices or warnings before I will get iPad for my mother? Honestly I am not iMac person...

Background about my mother;
- comfortable to use her 2 iphone 4s and 5s in her whole life and still struggled with her Acer laptop (with windows 7 installed)
- typical usage such as youtube, email, photos, steam, skype, etc.. nothing special...

What she wants;
- excellent and worry-free warranty (I doubt... Is there?)
- back up her iphone 5s for photos and videos (I will use BackBlaze service... much better)

So where should I start? Is NCIX offering good warranty for ipad product? iMac store only? or even costco?

TYhanks

moocow

Only Apple store would sell iPad. It's a tablet, I wouldn't use it as a backup device. Expect same life span as an iPhone, performance will probably degrade after 2 new iOS version upgrade. Not supported within 3 years. If she's used to an iPhone, iPad should be the same for her except it can't make calls.

Bond007

If you want trouble free warranty then Costco is the place to go. Their extended warranty is relatively speaking cheap and easy (I believe it's an additional 2 years, so 3 total). If she is familiar with Apple, then it is pretty easy to get sucked into the Eco system.

Ipads are pretty simple especially if she is already use to iPhones. The only thing it's not going to really be good at is backup...you really need a full PC/MacBook to do it, or do it on iCloud (it can be set up to automatically backup everything new).

Last edited:

Bond007

BackBlaze service beat everything... $50 a year is fantastic price... therefore I don't need any hard back up device. https://www.backblaze.com/best-online-backup-service.html

Okay Costco then. now I need to decide which is better deal to get... iPad 4 or air. I assume air is worth to spend. Right?

That's personal preference. My brother has an air and wouldn't want anything smaller, and my wife has a mini 2 and loves it because it fits in her purse if she wants...doesn't want the full size air. That said my wife and I have laptops/desktop if we want to do anything on a larger screen.

I would recommend just getting her to try both sizes and see which she thinks will better suit her uses...my guess would be the air.

Tomal

iPhone is equal to iPad,, only bigger. If she is comfortable with iPhone then she will also be comfortable with iPad.