What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed I need a 2020 treat build

sswilson

Staff member
Not going to be anything fancy, but felt I needed an end-of-year pick me up so I decided to build a dedicated PC for my pinball setup and jumped on the AMD bandwagon over BF. Going to be a mix of new and used but based on a slightly better performing GPU (5700XT) it should end up being a boost over my current 1070 ti / 8700K rather than the sidegrade I had originally envisioned.

MB plus Nvme.jpg

New kit so far. Grabbed the MSI Tomahawk B550 and 500GB WD Black during BF sales and am still waiting on the CPU & Case. For posterity's sake, I'm gonna mention what a PITA getting any kind of AMD processor has been since the low-availability launch of AMD's 5XXX processors this year. It seems folks were waiting on the new procs and then jumped on 3XXX stock when it became apparent that getting a 5XXX proc might be problematic.

Used Kit.jpg

Here's the used/repurposed kit. I've been running the PSU and GPU on a 2500K system for a couple of months and grabbed the memory from a member here. Not pictured is a Samsung Sata SSD that's currently in use.

edit: While I'm thinking of it, the Tomahawk B550 I got had the original bios on it (05-15) so unless I got stock from newegg that's been sitting on a shelf for 6 months, the chances of getting something that will run a 5XXX proc out of the box is pretty slim.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I've got a 3700X inbound (was on sale for $409) but would have much rather have been able to snag one of the sub-$300 3600 / 3600X procs. I had originally ordered a 2700X from newegg, but fortunately posted it here and one of our members pointed out that the B550 chipset doesn't officially support anything other than 3XXX and 5XXX processors and I was able to cancel the order before it shipped.

I suspect the 3700X will be sufficient for my needs and doubt I'll jump on a 5XXX chip until such time as I decide to upgrade my 8700K rig.

edit: I guess I was a bit ambiguous in the first post WRT the CPU and case. Both are already purchased and hopefully will be here by the end of next week. (I'm going to hold off on naming the case until I do the build.... it's slightly different than what I normally would build in).

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Old Case.jpg

That's what this is all going to replace. That old Azza case is getting a little bit long in the tooth. It was a cheap case to begin with, and while it's still functional, it hasn't aged all that well. :)

The installed HSF is a cheap Gammaxx 200T which was just something I was able to pick up locally for less than $40 when I found myself short of a stock cpu cooler.

edit: As far as the upgrade vs sidegrade goes, here's the latest Timespy comparison between my main rig w/ the 1070 ti and the 5700XT paired up with a 2500K....

I was surprised at how much better the 5700XT seemed to perform and am really looking forward to seeing what those numbers look like with the new build.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Twiddling my thumbs while I wait for the CPU to arrive....

NVMe uninstalled.jpg

I'm assuming all NVMe manufacturers make it easy to remove the sticker from the chips? My first NVMe (intel) was the same way and easy enough to store the sticker on the original packaging on the off chance I have to do any kind of RMA.

NVMe heatsink.jpg

Weird design choice here... I'm a fan of captive nuts/screws, but why would you only put it on one of two screws? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

NVMe heatsink on mohterboard.jpg

I'm liking the understated colour design on this board (probably a bit of a paradox since I also like my RGB bling... :) ). Glad I went with a full ATX board. It's been quite a few years of mITX and mATX boards for me, and I'm almost giddy over the 8 fan headers on this thing. (I know, it doesn't take much).

Bond007

Great board. Are you going to have everything build and just waiting to slot the CPU in?

sswilson

Staff member
Great board. Are you going to have everything build and just waiting to slot the CPU in?

I'll still be waiting on the case (ordered on friday still hasn't shipped) but I can get everything installed (including windows) once I get the CPU.

JD

Staff member
I'm assuming all NVMe manufacturers make it easy to remove the sticker from the chips?
Heh, I was wondering about this, to leave the sticker on or to remove it. For my FireCuda 520, I removed as the "no warranty if removed" sticker is on the back, but this time around I left the stickers on the SN850 and P5. Not sure how it impacts heat transfer though, but temperatures still seem to be fine.

lowfat

Staff member
I've always used a heat gun to remove stickers from ram, etc. I don't believe my Samsung drives were all that easy to remove either.

sswilson

Staff member
Well, both the Intel 760p and this WD Black were relatively easy to remove without requiring any kind of external heat. More importantly, they're one-piece stickers as opposed to those hateful multi-piece ones microsoft used to use on their OS case stickers that were designed specifically to prevent them from being removed in one piece (think I've still got one in a drawer here somewhere with tape backing on it from when I changed cases.... ;) ).

The CPU looks like it hit the main depot here (dieppe) so hopefully it makes it over to moncton in the AM to be put on a truck for delivery.

Twitter