What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed I need a 2020 treat build

sswilson

Staff member
What's most folks' preferred boot/install settings these days?

I'm going with NVMe and Sata SSD so I'm assuming I can just go with a full UEFI without bothering with leaving legacy enabled. What about secure boot? Does anybody outside of a corporate environment bother enabling that?

Lysrin

Looks to be a good looking build so far! I got a little confused there when you mentioned the 2500K. Is this upgrading that or your 8700K?

My HP NVMe, iirc, had the warning about voiding the warranty if the sticker was removed. So my motherboard heatsink is installed right over the sticker. I was concerned about it too, but as JD said, doesn't seem to impact my temps for the drive any. I didn't want to risk losing out on warranty if I removed the sticker.

Edit: Missed your last. I don't believe I have any legacy enabled these days. And honestly I'm not sure about Secure Boot. I don't recall enabling it, so no if it isn't a default.

sswilson

Staff member
It's replacing the 2500K in my sig, and will be taking over most (if not all) gaming duties. I'm still working out the monitor situation... Ideally I'd like to move my ASUS over to it for standard landscape gaming and find a suitable 27" IPS for my "main" rig.

Lysrin

It's replacing the 2500K in my sig, and will be taking over most (if not all) gaming duties. I'm still working out the monitor situation... Ideally I'd like to move my ASUS over to it for standard landscape gaming and find a suitable 27" IPS for my "main" rig.

Righto. That should be a nice jump over the 2500K. I did the 3600X for my niece last Christmas and I was very impressed with it. So your 3700X will be that much better again!

I toyed with the idea of upgrading my 8700K, would like to for the fun of it, but really, the 8700K is still no slouch and frankly with stock as it is I couldn't buy anything anyway! 😆 Perhaps I'll wait and see what you eventually upgrade your 8700K to and ride along on your coattails... :sneaky:

sswilson

Staff member
I suspect the 8700K will have a relatively long life as my main general use PC. There's really nothing I do that would benefit much from upgrading it. This second PC will give me access to the great majority of incremental hardware/platform upgrades which should satisfy my need to check out new(er) tech.

djbrad

I got this 27" ips 1080p recently, Asus VG279, gsync compatible, very satisfied. Went for the 1080p version as I do mostly office work and some gaming, not a lot, did not want to break the bank.

There is a 1440p variant, the VG27AQ.

However, if you need 4k and / or HDR, you may want to look at something else.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
My buddy was in the market for a new monitor. Convinced him (after seeing it in person at MemEx) to get the new LG nanoIPS screen. Its used in a few different monitors out there including the Lenovo one that was on sale for Black Friday. He missed out on it, but memex gave him the 27GL850 for the same price.

If I needed a new monitor, I think bang/buck those 27" 1440p IPS ones are the sweet spot right now.

sswilson

Staff member
Since I'm not planning on gaming on the replacement monitor, I'm seriously considering grabbing one of the 75hz freesync 1080p ones that have flooded the marketplace and then running DSR on it to bump the visuals to 1440p levels.

We'll see though, that's the next project and it'll require some rethinking on how I've got my desk(s) laid out.

edit: I'll give the 1080p DSR option a go on the spare 24" I've got kicking around to see what it looks like.

sswilson

Staff member
3700X.jpg

Ryzen 7 finally arrived!

wraith Prism.jpg

In the "not going to be anything special" vein, I'm going to stick with the Wraith Prism cooler. It looks to be a relatively beefy downdraft cooler and it already comes with unicorn puke.

I'm not sure how much OC'ing folks get out of these chips, but I am aware that boost clocks might be affected by using the stock cooler and that will probably affect performance a bit.

Currently waiting for everything to normalize to room temp before installing on the mb and carrying on with windows install.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Use the 1USMUS program to overclock/undervolt it. You'll probably see a huge improvement in both temps and clocks even if you 'downvolt' it to 1.1