What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed I need a 2020 treat build

sswilson

Staff member
Damnit Amazon!!!! Ship the bloody case!!!!!!!

The install went reasonably well, but I really wish MS would add a "move folder" option for OneDrive that doesn't involve "unlink this pc" especially now that they've essentially decided to do everything in their power to have our accounts active during install.

sswilson

Staff member
CBR23 3700X stock.pngCBR23 8700KOC.PNG

Pretty significant cinebench improvement over the 8700K even @ stock (although I suspect the MB is doing some kind of "magic"... I recall seeing a message of some kind during one of the first boots WRT some kind of cpu boost being applied).

edit: Taking a quick look through the manual, I'm assuming the message I remember seeing was something to do with "gameboost" being enabled.

Currently flashing to the most recent non-beta bios. As mentioned in the first post, the board shipped with ver - 00.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Use the 1USMUS program to overclock/undervolt it. You'll probably see a huge improvement in both temps and clocks even if you 'downvolt' it to 1.1

So, Ryzen Master is essentially the AMD version of Intel's XTU and the 1USMUS program uses that as the backbone?

sswilson

Staff member
CaseShipping.PNG

Finally!!!!!

Currently working on stress testing and fine tuning of the OC. Looks like I'm going to settle on 4350 on all the cores and am running 1.25V but will try to tweak that down after I verify this is stable at these voltages. Temps are decent considering I'm running the stock cooler (72C peak running cinebench).

So far, MSI's "gameboost" seemed to work reasonably well as a one button OC but it wasn't hitting the clocks I'm currently getting and it was using a higher Vcore. I am however impressed with MSI's Memory Try It! feature. I'll have to spend some time with the ryzen dram calculator that's out there, but the MSI feature made it super easy to set my memory to 3333 and offers a ton of other possible speeds to try out. (There was an option for 34XX that appeared to be stable but with 18 CAS vice 16 and it seemed to drop performance over the 3333 / 16 settings.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Make sure you do the math on CL/Freqency to get your actual latency because likely the 16 CL @ 3333 is going to be faster than 18CL @ 3466.

1607534085913.png

sswilson

Staff member
Make sure you do the math on CL/Freqency to get your actual latency because likely the 16 CL @ 3333 is going to be faster than 18CL @ 3466.

View attachment 30158

Heh... didn't have to do any math... I figured that out from benchmarks. :) Now I need to look into infinity fabric freqs.

Turned out 1.25V was the number I needed.

CBR23 3700X 4350 1.25V 3333mem.png

sswilson

Staff member
Hrmmmm.....

OCing on this platform is "interesting" to say the least. :)

I tried to get away from an all cores fixed OC and depend on the auto overclocking settings, but am finding that while they work, they also apply what look like super high voltages. So... simple solution is to offset the voltage that's being applied... but no, because of the way the boost clocks are applied by the system (I'm assuming this... so take it with a grain of salt) any reduction of applied voltages through an offset appears to have a directly measurable effect on performance.

I had some great temps, and what looked like decent boots clocks on a 1 hr prime run using a -.2V offset, but a cinebench run showed a 20% reduction, and then a -.1V offest resulted in aprox. 10% off of the no offset numbers. (10430/11520 when compared to the numbers directly above).

I still want to try sticking to a non-fixed clock, but I guess I'm going to have to dig a little deeper into the Precision boost settings as opposed to leaving them on automatic.

Bond007

I would also push away from fixed /all core OC with Ryzen. I hope you are enjoying the tweaking fun! I know I always do.

sswilson

Staff member
I would also push away from fixed /all core OC with Ryzen. I hope you are enjoying the tweaking fun! I know I always do.

Yeah, looks like the special sauce in this case is setting PBO levels (I'm sure it's called something different by each manufacturer) as opposed to just turning PBO on and leaving it to auto. Just did a full run on the highest pre-mixed selectable level (4 in this case) and it appears to be running at approximately the same performance level with a - .1 offset applied so I think I'm looking in the right area.

One of the challenges here is that I'm hell bent on sticking with the stock cooler.... I'm looking at this as more of a console-type build that I want to just work with the hardware I've thrown at it as opposed to my main rig which would typically have custom cooling.

Latest posts